Philidelphea Experment.Real Physics?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, an alleged eyewitness supports the version of the Philadelphia Experiment portrayed in the movie, adding other details to the story which then was widely spread via the Internet and reappeared in several books written since then. The name of this eyewitness is Alfred Bielek. He was proven an impostor in 2003. It does not come from a movie but an unidentified letter from someone who was supposedly in on it. While I have no knowledge of the actual experiment (even to whether or not it ever happened), I can say that the explanation offered in the original is bogus. They claimed that the frequency of the activities of both the ship and its crew was accelerated until they were vibrating at light
Line
Philidelphea Experment...Real Physics?

There's this rumor of The Navy using this warship back in the 40s. Dubbed The Philidelphia Experiment The Navy supposedly used magnetic fields to make a warship disapear. It was off the coast of Philly and the warship really did disapear into another dimension. It then reappeared in another spot. It's supposed to be a hyperspace teleportation experiment.

When it returned the med were reportedly melted in with the ship. THe ones who got out would become invisble then visible once a second.My question is did it really happen? Does it comply with any laws of Physics? Supposedly the technology was adopted from UFOs. It also had to do with Project Mantauk.

Do any of you believe this,know somebody who worked on it, or know it's pure fiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pure fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_experiment
The story as it is now known stems from the fictional movie The Philadelphia Experiment directed by Stewart Rafill. As of 1990, an alleged eyewitness supported the version as it was portrayed in the movie, adding other details to the story which then was widely spread via the Internet and reappeared in several books written since then. The name of this eyewitness is Alfred Bielek. He was proven an impostor in 2003 [2].

Last edited:
It doesn't come from a movie but an unidentified letter from someone who was supposedly in on it.

I have the book, as well as a novel called 'Gone Zero' based upon the supposed event. While I have no knowledge of the actual experiment (even to whether or not it ever happened), I can say that the explanation offered in the original is bogus. They claimed that the frequency of the activities of both the ship and its crew was accelerated until they were vibrating at light speed. Keep in mind that the original idea was to make the ship invisible, not to move it. Considering that molecular motion is expressed as heat, it's obviously not possible that such vibrational speed could be achieved. The result would have been a star, even if relativity didn't prevent such vibrational speed for an object with mass.

edit: I just spotted Russ' post after mine got submitted. The movie was based upon the book, which came out several years earlier.

Last edited:
This belongs in the Skepticism and Debunking forum. It's insulting to have it here in the General Physics forum. Can a mod please move it?

berkeman said:
This belongs in the Skepticism and Debunking forum. It's insulting to have it here in the General Physics forum. Can a mod please move it?
Most happily, you are absolutly correct.

Ivan, It is all yours... Delete away!

Man I've seen this movie before. I demand a refund...

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

I bet some high powered people sat around discussing whether they should debunk it or not to the general public still tho' :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
This story begins in 1955, not 1990.

On January 13, 1955, Jessup received a letter from a man identifying himself as Carlos Miguel Allende. In the letter, Allende informed Jessup of the Philadelphia Experiment
Wiki link

As per the S&D posting guidelines, this is a closed subject.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5929

Last edited:

1. What was the purpose of the Philadelphia Experiment?

The purpose of the Philadelphia Experiment was to test the feasibility of creating an invisibility cloak for military purposes during World War II.

2. Did the Philadelphia Experiment actually happen?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of the Philadelphia Experiment. It is widely considered to be a hoax and has been debunked by numerous experts in the field of physics.

3. What is the alleged method used in the Philadelphia Experiment?

The alleged method used in the Philadelphia Experiment involves generating a strong electromagnetic field around a ship to bend light waves and render it invisible to the naked eye.

4. What are the possible explanations for the supposed disappearance of the USS Eldridge during the Philadelphia Experiment?

One possible explanation is that the USS Eldridge was not actually present during the experiment and the entire event was a fabrication. Another explanation is that the ship experienced a sudden and severe malfunction, causing it to disappear from sight temporarily.

5. Has there been any scientific research done on the concept of invisibility cloaks?

Yes, there has been research done on the concept of invisibility cloaks. However, current technology is not advanced enough to create a functional invisibility cloak for large objects like ships. Most research has focused on creating invisibility cloaks for small objects using metamaterials.