Where can I find explanations about physics applications in real life?

revix
I am a curious physics student who wants to learn how to use its knowledge to create things, to understand phenomenons and so on. I am looking for detailed explanations that use physics and maths. (books, websites, videos, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
That is far too broad. What branch of engineering are you most interested in?

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and sophiecentaur
revix said:
I am a curious physics student who wants to learn how to use its knowledge to create things, to understand phenomenons and so on. I am looking for detailed explanations that use physics and maths. (books, websites, videos, etc.)
Every, even the shortest ride in a car represents almost all subjects of classical physics. And while I am typing this on my electronic device, I use almost all aspects of electro- and quantum-mechanics. If you are looking for "megastructures" on youtube, then you can find a series of documentaries that explain basic principles in modern engineering that have been used (invented, discovered) by former (ancient) engineers.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Welcome to PF. :smile:

revix said:
I am looking for detailed explanations that use physics and maths.
At a basic level, check out this book (look at your local library for example):

1691673077201.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can also look at high-school level Physics textbooks at that local library of yours (or in your school library). :smile:

Likes Mister T, Lord Jestocost and Dale
Dale said:
That is far too broad. What branch of engineering are you most interested in?
Mechatronics engineering, Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.

Likes Dale
revix said:
You can learn a lot - unfortunately - from documentaries of disasters, especially in aerospace engineering. However, I think your approach is not very efficient. It is rather time-consuming and does not really help you to learn the principles and formulas. To study a textbook during this time would be better.

Likes Dale and Bystander
revix said:
Cool. For all of those I would start with a standard textbook on Newtonian physics. That will introduce you to the concepts of forces and Newton's laws. After that you probably should look into a class on Statics which will introduce you to the concepts of material stress and strain and Hooke's law. That will also be applicable to all of those topics. Then you would start to specialize. Mechatronics would require a Dynamics text and probably also some circuits and electrical stuff. Aerospace would require some fluid mechanics. And mechanical engineering would require dynamics and probably materials.

Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur and fresh_42
Dale said:
I would start with a standard textbook on Newtonian physics.
Absolutely; far fewer chances of getting a bad understanding of something from an approved textbook. Stuff that's been 'explained' by a fun writer with a limited grasp of Science or a 'personal view' can do a lot of long term harm to Science knowledge.

Likes Dale
revix said:
Well, if you're looking for detailed explanations that use physics and math, you'll need to first study that physics and math. On the other hand if you want to learn physics from an easy to read book, and get some ideas to help you create things, try Conceptual Physics by Paul G Hewitt. He has videos on YouTube too.

revix said:
The book "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker might be of interest.

Dale said:
For all of those I would start with a standard textbook on Newtonian physics. That will introduce you to the concepts of forces and Newton's laws. After that you probably should look into a class on Statics....
P.S., this is basically the start of a course list for a mechanical engineering degree. You can pick a college and google their curriculum.

Likes Dale

1. What are some examples of physics applications in everyday life?

Physics is involved in many aspects of our daily lives, such as the motion of objects, electricity and magnetism, light and sound, and the properties of matter. Some examples of physics applications in everyday life include using a microwave to heat food (electromagnetism), riding a bike (motion and forces), and turning on a light switch (electricity).

2. How does physics explain the behavior of objects in motion?

Physics uses the laws of motion, such as Newton's laws, to explain how objects move and interact with each other. These laws describe the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the forces acting upon it. For example, when you kick a soccer ball, Newton's third law states that the ball will push back on your foot with an equal and opposite force.

3. How is physics used in technology and engineering?

Physics plays a crucial role in the development of technology and engineering. Engineers use principles of physics to design and improve structures, machines, and devices. For example, the principles of electricity and magnetism are used in the design of computers and other electronic devices, while the laws of thermodynamics are essential for designing efficient engines and power plants.

4. Can physics be applied to biology and medicine?

Yes, physics has many applications in biology and medicine. For example, medical imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and ultrasound use principles of physics to create images of the body's internal structures. Physics also plays a role in understanding the properties of biological systems, such as the mechanics of the human body and the behavior of cells and molecules.

5. How can I learn more about physics applications in real life?

There are many resources available for learning about physics applications in real life. You can read books, watch videos, attend lectures, or take online courses on the subject. You can also explore the science and technology sections of news websites or visit science museums to see physics in action. Additionally, talking to physicists or engineers can provide valuable insights into real-world applications of physics.