Photo electric effect review liboff ch2

In summary, the question asks how long it takes for an electron to be emitted from a metal plate placed 100 cm from a monochromatic point source of light with a power output of 25 W and a wavelength of 5000 angstroms. The metal has a work function of 4 eV and atoms with a radius of 1 angstrom. The proposed solution involves using the surface area of the metal, the energy of the source, and the work function to calculate the time it takes for the energy to reach the work function level. The problem statement assumes that the atom can continually absorb light and does not need to be realistic. Therefore, the proposed solution is rational and there is no more useful information provided in the problem
teclordphrack

Homework Statement

Here's the question: A monochromatic point source of light radiates 25 W at a wavelength of 5000 angstroms. A plate of metal is placed 100 cm from the source. Atoms in the metal have a radius of 1 angstrom. Assume that the atom can continually absorb light. The work function of the metal is 4 eV. How long is it before an electron is emitted from the metal?

Homework Equations

My attempt at an answer. I used the 100 cm placement away from the source for the radius and put that into 4*pi*r^2 to get the total surface area. Divided the energy of the source by the total surface area. Multiplied that by the square of the atom spacing to get how much energy per sec was falling on that atom. I then used the work function of 4eV divided by the energy falling on that area per sec to find out how long it takes to reach the work function energy level.

The Attempt at a Solution

My only issue is, is that the time they are looking for or is there some other concept I am missing. I know using the normal photo electric effect theory it is hf - work function= energy of emitted electron. If I stop timing at the point I reach the work function value then in theory would I not be emitting an electron with 0 energy. (tech impossible).

If its absorbing continuously would I add the time to allow for one more wave cycle above that of the energy and time needed to get to the work function.

Physics news on Phys.org
5000 A = 500 nm => 2.5 eV. Which is lower than the work function. Is the photoeffect possible?

The problem statement says to "Assume that the atom can continually absorb light." It's not meant to be realistic.

Ah. I missed that statement completely. Then the proposed solution seems rational.

Yes this is the problem. The problem wants you to discount the reality of the situation and assume that the atom would continually absorb energy. So at what point would it emit an electron. Once it got to the work function level or some time after.

There is no more useful information in the problem. All you can do is compute the lower bound for time.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a metal surface when light of a certain frequency, or energy, is shone onto it.

2. Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed and explained by German physicist Albert Einstein in 1905.

3. How does the photoelectric effect relate to quantum mechanics?

The photoelectric effect was one of the first experimental evidences that supported the concept of photons and the wave-particle duality of light, which are fundamental principles in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. It is different for each metal and determines the threshold frequency for the photoelectric effect to occur.

5. What are some applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is used in various technologies such as solar cells, photoelectric sensors, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also the basis for the development of photoelectric spectroscopy, which is used to analyze the chemical composition of substances.