Photo-Generated Carrier Dynamics?

In summary, the person is seeking help understanding the concept of photo-generated carrier dynamics for a research project. They have been unable to find a source explaining it and are asking for someone to explain it and provide a source. They also mention that they have posted in another section for more appropriate help.
Wreak_Peace
I'm going to be working on a research project for an internship that involves photo-generated carrier dynamics, and after looking up the topic for a while, I haven't been able to find a source that explains what it is/means. I'd appreciate if anybody could take a minute to explain this concept to me, and maybe point me to a source. If you feel that providing more context would be helpful in your explanation, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've cross-posted this in the Particle Physics section, as I believe it is more appropriate. If this thread could be deleted here, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

1. What is photo-generated carrier dynamics?

Photo-generated carrier dynamics is the study of the movement and behavior of charge carriers (electrons and holes) that are created by light absorption in a material. This includes their lifetimes, diffusion, recombination, and other processes that affect their behavior.

2. Why is photo-generated carrier dynamics important?

Understanding photo-generated carrier dynamics is crucial for the development of new materials and devices for applications such as solar cells, sensors, and photodetectors. It also helps us understand the fundamental processes that occur in materials when they absorb light.

3. What factors affect photo-generated carrier dynamics?

The dynamics of charge carriers are affected by several factors, including the material properties, such as bandgap and carrier mobility, as well as external factors such as temperature, light intensity, and electric fields. The type of excitation (e.g. pulsed or continuous) also plays a role.

4. How is photo-generated carrier dynamics studied?

Photo-generated carrier dynamics can be studied using various techniques, such as time-resolved spectroscopy, transient absorption spectroscopy, and pump-probe measurements. These techniques involve exciting the material with a short pulse of light and measuring how the carriers respond over time.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding photo-generated carrier dynamics?

By understanding the behavior of charge carriers in materials, we can develop more efficient solar cells, faster sensors, and better photodetectors. This knowledge can also inform the design of new materials with improved optoelectronic properties.