Photoelectric effect, retarding potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the work function of a material using the photoelectric effect and retarding potential. The necessary equations and symbols are defined, and it is determined that the wavelength of 2500 A is needed to solve for the work function. The final calculation yields a work function of 4.04 eV.
howin
[SOLVED] Photoelectric effect, retarding potential

Homework Statement

If the photocurrent of a photocell is cut off by a retarding potential of 0.92 volts for monochromatic radiation of 2500 A (A with the little circle above it), what is the work function of the material.

Homework Equations

My book and professor use different symbols so I am going to define the symbols I am using:
Ø means retarding potential / stopping potential
W means work function

e Ø = hc/lambda - W

hc = 1240 eV

The Attempt at a Solution

radiance is invariant with lambda b/c monochromatic
According to the graph of photocurrent i vs. anode voltage V, it is when V = -Ø that i goes to 0. I don't see where 2500A fits in, except that that must give me lambda so that I can solve for W in the equation above.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got everything you need. Just plug them all into your equation and solve for W!

[itex]2500 \AA [/itex] is the wavelength.

[tex]1 \AA = 10^{-10}m[/tex]

Wow, that helps a lot!

Oh okay, having A be a measure of length helps a lot...I was an econ/poli sci major so missed a lot of this stuff undergrad = )

2500A = 2.5 * 10^-7m = 250 nm

So W = (1240 eV nm / 250 nm) - .92 eV = 4.04 eV which is the work function.

Thanks!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when photons of light transfer their energy to electrons in a material, causing them to gain enough energy to overcome the material's binding forces and be emitted as free electrons.

3. What is the retarding potential in the photoelectric effect?

The retarding potential is the voltage applied to a metal plate in an experimental setup of the photoelectric effect. This voltage can be adjusted to control the energy of the emitted electrons and study their behavior.

4. How is the retarding potential related to the stopping potential?

The stopping potential is the minimum retarding potential needed to completely stop the flow of electrons in a photoelectric experiment. It is directly proportional to the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect has numerous applications in modern technology, such as solar cells, photocells, and photomultiplier tubes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the nature of light and the behavior of electrons in materials.