Photoelectric effect wavelength

In summary, the conversation is about finding the wavelength of an electron given its kinetic energy. The potential equations to use are either E=h*frequency or E=0.5mv2, and it is suggested to use the second equation to find the velocity and then use de Broglie's relationship to find the wavelength. However, there is some confusion as to whether de Broglie's relationship or Planck's equation should be used.
blindsided
This is not a specific question; I'm just unclear about a concept.

Homework Statement

Given the kinetic energy of an electron emitted, how would you find the wavelength?

Homework Equations

E=h*frequency

or

E=0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking I would use the secon equation, find v, then use de Broglie's relationship to find wavelength. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
blindsided said:
I'm thinking I would use the secon equation, find v, then use de Broglie's relationship to find wavelength. Am I on the right track?
Assuming that the question is to find the de Broglie wavelength of the electron, then you are on the right track.

Hmm...
The question hadn't specified de broglie wavelength- hence my confusion as to whether I would use de Broglie's relationship or just Planck's equation.
I thought Planck's equation only pertained to EM radiation?

Post the question word for word as it was given to you.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. How does wavelength affect the photoelectric effect?

The wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation plays a crucial role in the photoelectric effect. The energy of the radiation is directly proportional to its frequency, which means that shorter wavelengths have higher energy. Therefore, shorter wavelengths of light are more likely to cause the emission of electrons from a material.

3. What is the threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of electromagnetic radiation required to cause the photoelectric effect. Below this frequency, no electrons will be emitted, regardless of the intensity of the radiation.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the photoelectric effect. The number of electrons emitted is dependent on the frequency of the radiation, not its intensity. However, increasing the intensity of light can increase the number of electrons emitted by increasing the number of photons hitting the material.

5. What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a material. It is different for each material and is a crucial factor in determining the threshold frequency for the photoelectric effect.