Photoionization what will happen to compounds?

• Thread starter d.sonali20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, photoionization will happen to compounds, positive ions will be affected, and the probability of photoionization depends on the binding energy of the orbital.
d.sonali20
photoionization...what will happen to compounds??

1) when UV light falls on molecules such as SiO or Fe2O3,will photo electric effect take place or will the they ionize into ions or both?? does this depend on any factor like maybe the wavelength of light being used??

2)how will positive ions be affected by the UV light??will they give photo electrons too??

i tried to google this several times and in several ways but found nothing...please help...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Photography the old fashioned way - film.

@mathman
? sorry dint get u...

photo electric effect of positive ions

under photo electric effect,what will happen to positive ions??
will they also give out photo electrons??
if yes,what is its probability??

no one knows the answer for this??please help...its urgent!

It is not an experiment performed on isolated atoms. The electrons are ejected when radiation is directed at a conductive surface. As long as the frequency is high enough though it can eject electrons from a stronger binding potential.

the wavelength limit for the photoelectric effect is related to the work function of the material. thus, the answer to your question lies in the work function of a compound.

defining the work function of a compound semiconductor can be non-trivial.

d.sonali20 said:
@mathman
? sorry dint get u...
When light hits photographic film, the chemicals undergo a change, so that after further processing an image can be produced. I do not know the details of the particular reactions.

d.sonali20 said:
no one knows the answer for this??please help...its urgent!

Homework due today? :rolleyes:

LostConjugate said:
It is not an experiment performed on isolated atoms. The electrons are ejected when radiation is directed at a conductive surface. As long as the frequency is high enough though it can eject electrons from a stronger binding potential.

what if i am flashing UV light onto a gas containing +ve ions and detecting the photo electrons??if the logic is just that as long as the frequency is high enough electrons will be ejected,do you know how i can find out the binding potential(work function) of some positive ions like fe(iii) and si(ii)...i've been trying to get this info for a while but I'm not able to...

d.sonali20 said:
what if i am flashing UV light onto a gas containing +ve ions and detecting the photo electrons??if the logic is just that as long as the frequency is high enough electrons will be ejected,do you know how i can find out the binding potential(work function) of some positive ions like fe(iii) and si(ii)...i've been trying to get this info for a while but I'm not able to...

Yea, it really comes down to the binding energy of the orbital.

There is a chart here for Si

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_binding_energy

uby said:
the wavelength limit for the photoelectric effect is related to the work function of the material. thus, the answer to your question lies in the work function of a compound.

defining the work function of a compound semiconductor can be non-trivial.

okay...what about positive ions??

JeffKoch said:
Homework due today? :rolleyes:
actually I'm studying the working of a detector that detects meteor smoke particles...i've got to build it by mid november and I'm still stuck in its working:grumpy:

LostConjugate said:
Yea, it really comes down to the binding energy of the orbital.

There is a chart here for Si

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_binding_energy

oh!i didnt think ionization potential and work function would be the same...but i guess they would have to be...since both represent the energy required to remove an electron...
thanks for the help :smile:

1. What is photoionization?

Photoionization is a process in which light energy is used to ionize an atom or molecule, meaning an electron is removed from the atom or molecule. This can result in the formation of a positively charged ion.

2. How does photoionization affect compounds?

Photoionization can affect compounds in various ways. It can lead to the formation of charged ions, which can alter the chemical and physical properties of the compound. It can also cause the compound to break down into smaller molecules or atoms.

3. Can photoionization occur in all compounds?

No, photoionization does not occur in all compounds. It depends on the energy of the incident light and the ionization potential of the compound. Only compounds with lower ionization potentials can be photoionized with visible or ultraviolet light.

4. What factors influence the photoionization process?

The photoionization process is influenced by various factors, including the energy and wavelength of the incident light, the ionization potential of the compound, and the presence of other molecules that may interact with the compound.

5. Is photoionization a reversible process?

Photoionization is a reversible process, meaning that the ionized compound can regain its neutral state by gaining an electron. However, this process may be influenced by other factors such as the stability of the ionized state and the presence of other molecules.