Doubling I, what happens to v_d and n?

• A
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, when an electric field is applied to a conductor, a certain number of electrons are affected and move with speeds near the Fermi velocity. This is different from the outdated Drude's model where every single free electron is affected and moves with a constant drift velocity. When the current density is doubled, either the number of electrons or their velocity (or both) will be affected. In an idealized metal conductor with a perfectly spherical Fermi surface, the volume density of free electrons cannot be changed. Therefore, when the current is doubled, the drift velocity of the affected electrons will double. The number of electrons responding to the field will also double, as the E field acts as a small linear perturbation on the system.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I am wondering (again) what's going on when we apply an electric field to a conductor. In particular if we apply an electric field that creates a current density ##\vec J = \sigma \vec E## (I'm neglecting thermoelectric effects), there is a certain number of electrons (of the order of ##v_d / v_F## per 1 free electron, i.e. about one in ten billion for a reasonable experimental setup) that are affected by the ##\vec E## field, and they move with speeds near ##v_F##. Yes, this is in stark contrast to the obsolete Drude's model where every single free electron is affected by the ##\vec E## field and move in average with a velocity of ##v_d##. But I do this on purpose, hence the graduate level prefix of this thread.
More precisely, ##J = e \left ( \frac{nv_d}{v_F} \right )v_F##, where the quantity in parenthesis denotes the number of electrons that is affected by the ##\vec E## field and which moves with speeds at about ##v_F##.

So, this suggest that if we double the current density, since ##v_F## won't be affected, either ##n## (the free electron density number), ##v_d## or both will be affected. At first I thought that the drift velocity would double, meaning that the number of electrons that participate in electrical conduction stays constant when we double the current. But then I thought that the apparent shift of the Fermi sphere is greater when we double the current, so the number of electrons taking part in electrical conduction is impacted by the doubling of current.

So what's going on when we double the current in an idealized (perfectly spherical Fermi surface) metallic conductor? Is the number of electrons that respond to the field doubled, or their velocity doubled, or a mix of both?

Physics news on Phys.org
The volume density of the free electrons, n, is given and cannot be changed.

Likes fluidistic
Lord Jestocost said:
The volume density of the free electrons, n, is given and cannot be changed.
Ah right, that makes sense. This means ##v_d## is doubled. I missed the fact that a displacement of the Fermi sphere can be done by modifying ##v_d## and does not necessarily involve a different number of electrons that reacted to the applied field.Edit: Nevermind. I finally get it. The number of electrons that react to the applied E field DOES double. This means ##v_d## doubles too. The total number of free electrons remains unchanged though. It's just the number of electrons affected by the E field that increases, and it makes sense because the E field acts like a small perturbation whose effect on the system is linear.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between doubling I and v_d?

When I is doubled, v_d also doubles. This is because v_d is directly proportional to I, meaning that as one increases, the other increases by the same factor.

2. How does doubling I affect n?

Doubling I does not have a direct effect on n. However, it can indirectly affect n if it causes a change in the overall voltage of the system, which can then affect the electron density n.

3. Will doubling I always result in a doubling of v_d and n?

No, doubling I will not always result in a doubling of v_d and n. This is because other factors, such as temperature and material properties, can also influence the values of v_d and n.

4. Can doubling I have any negative effects on the system?

Yes, doubling I can potentially have negative effects on the system. It can lead to an increase in power consumption and heat generation, which can impact the overall performance and reliability of the system.

5. How does doubling I impact the overall behavior of the system?

Doubling I can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system. It can affect the current flow, voltage, and electron density, which can in turn affect the overall performance and functionality of the system.