Photon conservation in Raman amplification

In summary, the Manley-Rowe condition states that the sum of intensities is constant in the Raman amplification process. This is equivalent to the sum of derivatives being 0. Using the coupled-wave equations, we can show that this condition is satisfied by proving that the sum of derivatives is 0. In part 2, we are given values for chi_R(w_s), Stokes and laser frequencies, refractive indices, and intensities for both the laser wave and Stokes wave at z=0 and we need to find the intensity of the laser wave at z=1 cm. By plugging in the values into the intensity equation, we can solve for the intensity of the laser wave at z=1 cm, which will
snickersnee
Part 1:

Homework Statement

Use two coupled-wave equations for the
Raman amplification process depicted to the right
to show that for every photon at Stokes frequency
omega_s created (destroyed) one photon in the laser
pump field omega_L is destroyed (created).

I have the coupled-wave equations, they're given in part 3. Basically, I have to show that the sum of intensities is constant, which means the sum of the derivatives is 0.

Homework Equations

See (3) below

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \text{For Manley-Rowe, must prove that sum of intensities is constant.}\\
\text{That is, sum of derivatives is 0.}\\
I=2 n_i \epsilon_0 c A_i A^*_i,\ \frac{dI_i}{dz}=2n_i \epsilon_0 c \left( A_i^* \frac{dA_i}{dz}+A_i \frac{dA^*_i}{dz} \right )\\
\text{We have: }\left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{dA_s}{dz}=\alpha_s A_s,\ where\ \alpha_s=3i\frac{w_s^2}{n_s c}\chi_R^{(3)}(w_s)|A_L|^2\\
\frac{dA_L}{dz}=\alpha_L A_L,\ where\ \alpha_L=3i\frac{w_L^2}{n_L c}\chi_R^{(3)}(w_L)|A_s|^2\\
\chi_R(w_L)=\chi^*_R(w_s)
\end{matrix}\right.\\ \\
\frac{dI_s}{dz}+\frac{dI_L}{dz}=2n_i \epsilon_0 c \left( \left[ 3i\frac{w_s^2}{n_s c}|A_L|^2 |A_s|^2 \right ]2\chi_R(w_s)+\left[ 3i\frac{w_L^2}{n_L c}|A_L|^2 |A_s|^2 \right ]2\chi_R(w_L)\right )\\
[/itex]

The sum of derivatives is supposed to be 0, but I don't see how. Adding chi_R to its complex conjugate gives a real number that isn't 0:

[itex]
\epsilon_0 \left( \frac{N}{6m} \right)\left( \frac{\partial a}{\partial q} \right)^2_0 \left[ \frac{1}{w_v^2-(w_s-w_L)^2 +2i(w_s-w_L)\gamma}+ \frac{1}{w_v^2-(w_L-w_s)^2 +2i(w_L-w_s)\gamma} \right ]\\
=\frac{(w_s+w_L^2-2w_sw_L)-2i(w_s-w_L)\gamma+(w_s+w_L^2-2w_sw_L)+2i(w_s-w_L)\gamma}{(w_s+w_L^2-2w_sw_L)^2+4(w_s-w_L)^2 \gamma^2}\\=\frac{2}{[(w_s+w_L^2-2w_sw_L)+4\gamma^2]}
[/itex]

Part 2:

Homework Statement

In part 2, values are given for chi_R(w_s), Stokes and laser frequencies, refractive indices, and intensities for both the laser wave and Stokes wave at z=0. I need to find the intensity of the laser wave at z=1 cm (that is, after propagating 1 cm in the Raman medium.

Homework Equations

Same as Part 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we can just plug into the intensity equation, where dz is 1 cm. It seems to me that we need numbers for amplitude values, but they aren't given.
Thanks for reading all that.

Physics news on Phys.org
\text{For Manley-Rowe, must prove that sum of intensities is constant.}\\\text{That is, sum of derivatives is 0.}\\I=2 n_i \epsilon_0 c A_i A^*_i,\ \frac{dI_i}{dz}=2n_i \epsilon_0 c \left( A_i^* \frac{dA_i}{dz}+A_i \frac{dA^*_i}{dz} \right )\\\text{We have: }\left\{\begin{matrix}\frac{dA_s}{dz}=\alpha_s A_s,\ where\ \alpha_s=3i\frac{w_s^2}{n_s c}\chi_R^{(3)}(w_s)|A_L|^2\\ \frac{dA_L}{dz}=\alpha_L A_L,\ where\ \alpha_L=3i\frac{w_L^2}{n_L c}\chi_R^{(3)}(w_L)|A_s|^2\\\chi_R(w_L)=\chi^*_R(w_s)\end{matrix}\right.\\ \\\frac{dI_s}{dz}+\frac{dI_L}{dz}=2n_i \epsilon_0 c \left( \left[ 3i\frac{w_s^2}{n_s c}|A_L|^2 |A_s|^2 \right ]2\chi_R(w_s)+\left[ 3i\frac{w_L^2}{n_L c}|A_L|^2 |A_s|^2 \right ]2\chi_R(w_L)\right )\\=0\\\therefore\ I_s(z=1cm)+I_L(z=1cm)=I_s(z=0)+I_L(z=0)=constant.

1. What is photon conservation in Raman amplification?

Photon conservation in Raman amplification refers to the principle that the total number of photons in a system must remain constant during the amplification process. This means that for every photon absorbed by the Raman medium, an equal number of photons must be emitted in order to conserve the total energy of the system.

2. How does Raman amplification work?

Raman amplification involves the use of a Raman medium, typically a fiber or crystal, which interacts with a pump laser to transfer energy to the signal photons. This process is known as stimulated Raman scattering, where the pump photons are scattered off the medium and transfer energy to the signal photons, increasing their amplitude and thus amplifying the signal.

3. What are the advantages of Raman amplification?

Raman amplification offers several advantages over other amplification methods, such as erbium-doped fiber amplifiers. It can amplify a wider range of wavelengths, has a flatter gain profile, and can provide higher gain and lower noise figures. Additionally, it can be used for both optical and electrical signal amplification.

4. What factors affect photon conservation in Raman amplification?

The efficiency of photon conservation in Raman amplification is influenced by several factors, including the pump power and wavelength, the properties of the Raman medium, and the length of the medium. Higher pump powers and shorter wavelengths can lead to more efficient amplification, while longer Raman media can result in greater depletion of pump photons and lower efficiency.

5. What are some applications of Raman amplification?

Raman amplification has numerous applications in optical communication systems, such as long-haul fiber transmission and wavelength division multiplexing. It is also used in Raman lasers for spectroscopy and medical imaging, and in fiber optic sensors for measuring temperature, strain, and other physical parameters.