Photon detection in the EPR experiment

In summary, the final polarization state of the photon in the EPR experiment is detected using a linear beam splitting polarizer. This polarizer splits the photon into two directions, with one output beam being absorbed. A photon detector is then placed at the location where the photon is expected to arrive for a given polarizer orientation. Alternatively, another polarizer with a fixed orientation can be used to split the two states before being detected by a photon detector. Both methods are valid for detecting the final polarization state of the photon in the EPR experiment.
kurt101
In the photon version of the EPR experiment, how is the final polarization state of the photon detected?

I have read a number of high level descriptions of the EPR experiment, but I am having trouble with understanding the detection part.

Here is my understanding, please correct me where I am wrong.

I understand the type of polarizer used in the EPR experiment is a linear beam splitting polarizer as defined here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer

If I understand correctly, there are some linear beam splitting polarizers that split the photon into 2 directions and there are some that do not. Just to be clear, I am not referring to the polarization state vector, but the direction the photon is traveling as it leaves the polarizer.

So I can imagine that for a beam splitting polarizer that does alter the direction of the photon, the detector would be a photon detector placed in the location of where the photon is expected to arrive for a given polarizer orientation.

Or I can imagine that for linear beam splitting polarizer that does NOT alter the direction of the photon, the detector would need to include another polarizer (absorption or beam splitting type) that has a fixed orientation relative to the EPR experiment in order to split the two states prior to being detected by a photon detector.

Are either of these ways of detecting the final polarization of the photon in the EPR experiment valid? Are there other ways?
Thanks

Likes Douglas Sunday
Physics news on Phys.org
You should first read about classical crystal optics. In its full glory it's marvelously explained in the good old book by Sommerfeld:

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. IV (optics)

Then you can think of this as an effective theory describing also the interaction of single photons with the optical elements like your polarizer.

kurt101 said:
If I understand correctly, there are some linear beam splitting polarizers that split the photon into 2 directions and there are some that do not. Just to be clear, I am not referring to the polarization state vector, but the direction the photon is traveling as it leaves the polarizer.
All polarizing beam splitters are splitting photon beam in two direction. Polarizing beam splitter with one output does not make sense. Polarizer has one beam at the output, but it absorbs part of the beam so that the beam is altered anyways.
kurt101 said:
So I can imagine that for a beam splitting polarizer that does alter the direction of the photon, the detector would be a photon detector placed in the location of where the photon is expected to arrive for a given polarizer orientation.
Yes

What is the EPR experiment?

The EPR (Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen) experiment is a thought experiment proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935 to test the concept of quantum entanglement.

What is photon detection in the EPR experiment?

Photon detection in the EPR experiment refers to the process of detecting and measuring the properties of individual photons, which are the smallest units of light, in order to observe the phenomenon of quantum entanglement.

How is photon detection carried out in the EPR experiment?

In the EPR experiment, photon detection is typically carried out using specialized equipment such as single-photon detectors, which are able to detect individual photons with high accuracy and efficiency.

What is the significance of photon detection in the EPR experiment?

Photon detection in the EPR experiment is significant because it allows scientists to observe and study the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality.

Are there any limitations or challenges to photon detection in the EPR experiment?

Yes, there are limitations and challenges to photon detection in the EPR experiment, including the difficulty of achieving precise and accurate measurements of individual photons and the potential for external factors to disrupt the entangled state of the photons.