Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon-photon collisions and photon "decay"

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    Hello.

I want to play around with the process of one photon splitting into more lower energy photons and vice versa.

As I understand it one can quite easily make a Feynman diagram of a photon splitting into two lower energy photons by interacting with virtual electron/positrons. And also the reverse diagram is possible.

Questions:
    - Once after getting the Feynman amplitudes for the splitting process, can one use the golden rule for Decays in a straight forward manner as one could for weak decays?

- Which diagrams are more dominant? Is it sufficient to just use gamma -> gamma gamma, or is it necessary to for instance also include gamma -> gamma gamma gamma.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but it won't happen in vacuum, all the amplitudes add to zero.
    I don't find the reference I was looking for, but here one that needs to introduce violations of Lorentz invariance for the process: arXiv:hep-ph/0212382

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3
    Okay, thanks =)
    Are there any other similar processes that allow for this kind of phenomenon(photons splitting or merging). I saw a paper on gamma -> 3xgamma, but that was in a strong magnetic field. How about 2xgamma -> 3xgamma ?

5. Feb 15, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

That might work (but odd<->even tends to be tricky as far as I know).
    2 photons -> 2 photons or 4 photons certainly works, but the cross-section is really tiny.

6. Feb 15, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Odd -> even (and vice versa) will never work. (proven by Wendell Furry)

Momentum-energy conservation strongly constrains what processes are allowed.

7. Feb 15, 2015 #6

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Feb 16, 2015 #7

jimgraber

Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  9. Feb 16, 2015 #8

jimgraber

Gold Member

One quote from the reference in my previous post:
    "The whole process appears as two photons ricocheting off each other, but it has only been observed indirectly by its effect on the magnetic moments of the electron and muon."

10. Feb 16, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

I didn't see this analysis, but to separate 20 events per year from background you need an extremely clean signature. Like particles in the TeV-range, and I would be surprised if they expect their production.

11. Feb 16, 2015 #10

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Feb 17, 2015 #11

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

As far as I know, Delbrück scattering has not been observed yet, but there's nothing in principle against it. To the contrary, since it's a QED process, I'd expect it to really exist and even the prediction of the cross section should be quantitatively correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook