Photon sphere vs horizon as a null suface

In summary, the confusion regarding the orbits of photons in Schwarzschild geometry arises from the use of Schwarzschild coordinates, which show the light cone shrinking and becoming degenerate at r=2M. However, in advanced Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates, the light cone is not degenerate and light rays can travel outward while remaining at r=2M, while other light rays fall towards the singularity. This confusion can also be attributed to the mistaken belief that staying at r=2M results in a circular orbit, when in fact there can be static points as well. Thus, there are null geodesics that can remain at r=2M for all time.
Jip
Hi ,
There's something I don't get regarding the orbits of photons in Schwarzschild geometry.

As well known, by solving geodesics equation for null rays, you get that photons can be in a (unstable) circular orbit at r=3 M. However, if you look at the causal diagram for Schwarzschild geometry (in Schwarzschild coordinates, say), then you see that the light cones are still open.

So, according to this diagram, a photon should go left (towards decreasing r) or right (increasing r), but not straight at r=cst! Is the solution somewhere hidden in the two other coordinates theta and phi?

I have another, but related question. The light cone gets degenerate with no extension at r=2M, as you see again on this causal diagram. In other words, the horizon is a null surface, which is a general property anyway. But if the horizon is a null surface, why don't photons actually move along this null surface? Instead, they just cross inwards.

To summarize, I would have expected the photon sphere to be precisely the horizon, since for me I have this (wrong) idea in head : null surface <-> photon sphere

Where is the mistake?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
At the horizon r = 2M, the light rays (not "photons") that generate the null surface travel outward. Remaining at constant r = 2M of course.

r = 3M is not a null surface. The light rays that go sideways travel in circular orbits.

Last edited:
Jip said:
So, according to this diagram, a photon should go left (towards decreasing r) or right (increasing r), but not straight at r=cst! Is the solution somewhere hidden in the two other coordinates theta and phi?
Yes. The diagram shows only radial motion (constant [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]) and so can't show orbits. The light cone is a 4-D cone and the diagram you refer to (I assume) shows only 2 dimensions.

Jip said:
I have another, but related question. The light cone gets degenerate with no extension at r=2M, as you see again on this causal diagram. In other words, the horizon is a null surface, which is a general property anyway. But if the horizon is a null surface, why don't photons actually move along this null surface? Instead, they just cross inwards.

A light ray directed inward from the horizon travels inward. A light ray directed outward from the horizon maintains constant r=2M, so on a Penrose diagram it just travels along that diagonal line until it gets to [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex].

A light ray directed outward from the horizon maintains constant r=2M, so on a Penrose diagram it just travels along that diagonal line until it gets to I+

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Now I understand better.

-For the photon sphere, a light ray can travel inward or outward at r=3M, but it might also somehow balance gravity with some radial speed + an orthoradial speed (roughly speaking, it's just a way to visualize what's going on; I think the anology with an accoustic black hole helps here, where I guess you can have a circular sonic wave orbiting around the sonic horizon (?))

-Regarding the light cones at r=2M. I think I was fooled by the use of Schwarzschild coordinates. In these coordinates, the light cone schrinks and has no extension anymore at r=2M. So, naively, you think that light rays must stay at r=2M. However in advanced Eddigthon-Finkelstein coordinates, you rather see that the light cone is not degenerate, and that, as you say, the light ray outward stays at r=2M, all the others fall towards the singularity. I have to see this as well on the Penrose diagram.

My confusion came from the fact that if you stay at r=2M, then you are in a circular orbit. But it is wrong. You can be static as well!

So, if I understood correctly, there are null geodesics that stay forever at some point $theta_0$, $\phi_0$, $r=2M$, $\forall t$. Is that right?

1. What is a photon sphere?

A photon sphere is a region of space around a massive object where light can orbit in a circular path. This occurs due to the strong gravitational pull of the object, which bends the path of light.

2. What is a horizon as a null surface?

A horizon as a null surface is a boundary in space beyond which light cannot escape. It is also known as an event horizon and is often associated with black holes.

3. How do the photon sphere and horizon as a null surface differ?

The main difference between the photon sphere and the horizon as a null surface is that the photon sphere is a region where light can orbit, while the horizon is a boundary where light cannot escape. The photon sphere is located further away from the central object compared to the horizon.

4. Can anything escape from the horizon as a null surface?

No, once an object crosses the horizon as a null surface, it cannot escape. This includes light, which is why the horizon is often referred to as the point of no return.

5. What are some real-world examples of a photon sphere and a horizon as a null surface?

A real-world example of a photon sphere is the orbit of light around a black hole. For a horizon as a null surface, the event horizon of a black hole is a commonly cited example. The event horizon of a black hole is the boundary beyond which light cannot escape, and it is often considered as the horizon as a null surface.