Photons per second from a radio transmitter

In summary, to calculate the number of photons emitted per second by a radio transmitter radiating at 10 kW and a wavelength of 100 m, you can use the equation E=hv to find the energy of each photon, and then divide the power (10 kW) by the energy of each photon to get the number of photons emitted per second. This is found by combining the units of Joules/sec (for the transmitter) and Joules/photon (for the energy of each photon) to get units of photons/sec.
Crazy Tosser

Homework Statement

A radio transmitter radiates at the power of 10 kW at a wavelength of 100 m. How many photons does it emit per second?

Homework Equations

[tex]E=hv[/tex], and some other equations of beginnings of wave mechanics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no idea where to start.Please do not give me the whole solution, but, rather, a hint (big hints) so that I understand how to do problems like that myself. Oh btw, I am completely beginner in WM, so go easy.

Edit: I think I started to figure out some things.

If we know the wavelength, we can find out the energy of the photon, and then calculate how many photons are there to make up the 10 kW. Is that right? And if it is, how exactly would you know the units of photon's energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the "Joules/sec" for the transmitter. Also, you're aware of how to calculate "Joules/photon" (Joules per photon).

How would you combine the two quantities quoted in the above paragraph, in order to get something with units of "Photons/sec", i.e photons per second?

ohhh =D

yessir clear now

1. What are photons per second from a radio transmitter?

Photons per second from a radio transmitter is a measure of the rate at which electromagnetic radiation is emitted from a radio transmitter. It is a unit used to quantify the intensity of the radio waves being transmitted.

2. How do you calculate the number of photons per second from a radio transmitter?

The number of photons per second from a radio transmitter can be calculated by multiplying the power of the transmitter (in watts) by the frequency of the radio waves (in hertz) and dividing by the energy of a single photon (in joules).

3. Why is it important to measure the photons per second from a radio transmitter?

Measuring the photons per second from a radio transmitter can provide valuable information about the strength and range of the radio waves being transmitted. This can be useful for ensuring proper communication and avoiding interference with other radio signals.

4. What factors can affect the number of photons per second from a radio transmitter?

The number of photons per second from a radio transmitter can be affected by the power of the transmitter, the frequency of the radio waves, and any environmental factors such as interference or absorption of the radio waves.

5. What instruments are used to measure the photons per second from a radio transmitter?

Instruments such as photodetectors or photomultipliers are commonly used to measure the number of photons per second from a radio transmitter. These instruments can detect the presence of photons and convert them into an electrical signal that can be measured.