Number of photons/volume surrounding radio transmitter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Mika3
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Seeking a method of calculating the number of photons instantaneously present within a given volume surrounding a radio transmitter at given power and frequency.


Homework Equations



[tex]E=hv[/tex], and other equations involving power and wavelength.


The Attempt at a Solution



I have no problem calculating the photon energy, and number of photons/second at a given frequency and transmitter power. But how to calculate the number of photons within a given spherical volume, with the transmitter in the center (assuming spherically-symmetrical pattern)?

For example: number of photons within the near-field at x watts and y frequency (I know things can get complicated in the near-field). This is for my own curiosity and is not a textbook question (at least not one that I am aware of). I do not know where to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If, as you say, you have no problem with finding the number of photons of a given wavelength produced in, say, a second, then just determine how many of those photons will still be within the given radius of the source. Assume that the photons are produced at a constant rate during that second and that they move away from the source with speed, of course, c.
 
Thank you HallsofIvy. I was getting confused about the near-field, but real emitted photons are the only thing we have to work with you are right.