How to Derive the Equation for Radial Dependence of Light in a Galaxy Image?

• Thread starter Gantar
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation for deriving the radial dependence of light for a galaxy is used to obtain the irradiance profile using values in photons per pixel. The equation incorporates variables such as Planck's constant, the speed of light, the focal length of the telescope, the wavelength of visible light, the quantum efficiency of the camera, the time of exposure, the surface of a pixel, and the diameter of the telescope's mirror. The resulting value is then divided by the efficiency and adjusted for steradians to get the actual W/m^2*steradian output. The terms f/D and 4/π are also present in the equation.
Gantar
Homework Statement
Explain how to derive the equation
Relevant Equations
I=[N*4*h*c*f^2]/[λ*π*η*t*S*D^2]
So we have a project and we are required to write how to derive the given equation yet we can't find any explenation, only the equation itself.
The equation is basically what we are supposed to use to get radial dependence of light for a given picture of a galaxy when we have values in photons per pixle and want to get W/m^2*steradian

N is the numbr of photons per pixle, h is Plancks constant, c is the speed of light, f is the focal length of the telescope, λ is the wavelength of visible light, η is the quantuum efficiency of the camera, t is time of exposure, S the surface of a pixle, D is diameter of the telescopes mirror.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gantar said:
Homework Statement:: Explain how to derive the equation
Relevant Equations:: I=[N*4*h*c*f^2]/[λ*π*η*t*S*D^2]

So we have a project and we are required to write how to derive the given equation yet we can't find any explenation, only the equation itself.
The equation is basically what we are supposed to use to get radial dependence of light for a given picture of a galaxy when we have values in photons per pixle and want to get W/m^2*steradian

N is the numbr of photons per pixle, h is Plancks constant, c is the speed of light, f is the focal length of the telescope, λ is the wavelength of visible light, η is the quantuum efficiency of the camera, t is time of exposure, S the surface of a pixle, D is diameter of the telescopes mirror.
You have not defined I. (What does "radial dependence" mean?)
Much of the way the variables combine is reasonably obvious. E.g. can you at least group hc/λ into something you can give a name to? What else?

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
haruspex said:
You have not defined I. (What does "radial dependence" mean?)
Much of the way the variables combine is reasonably obvious. E.g. can you at least group hc/λ into something you can give a name to? What else?

Im guessing its called irradiance in english (sorry i lack a bit of english knowledge) basically we need to make a profile of irradiance for a galaxy, but i think that's not as important at the moment. I am more looking for getting grayscale to irradiance.
Okay so hc/λ I am guessing is energy of a photon, so therefore we need to divide it by time to get power, so that's where the wats come from. N is just so we have power of all photons combined and we divide by S to get power per m^2 right?
Then I am a bit confussed by the η , don't really see a connection to anything there.
Also the f^2 and D^2 they mostlikely have something to do with steradian?

Also thank you for responding and helping, i really appreciate it:)

Gantar said:
Okay so hc/λ I am guessing is energy of a photon, so therefore we need to divide it by time to get power, so that's where the wats come from. N is just so we have power of all photons combined and we divide by S to get power per m^2 right?
Yes, that all looks right. And that would be W/m2 as recorded by the camera.
Gantar said:
Then I am a bit confussed by the η
To work back to the W/m2 actually striking the receptor one would divide by the efficiency.
Gantar said:
Also the f^2 and D^2 they mostlikely have something to do with steradian?
Indeed. The terms you have left are ##\frac 4\pi(\frac fD)^2##. Can you relate f/D to anything?

1. What is "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian"?

"Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" is a unit of measurement used in radiometry to quantify the amount of radiant energy per unit solid angle per unit projected area. It is often used to measure the intensity of light or other electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" calculated?

The conversion from greyscale to W/m^2*steradian depends on the specific radiometric quantity being measured. For example, to convert from greyscale to radiance, you would need to know the conversion factor for the specific type of light being measured. This conversion factor is often provided in the instrument's specifications or can be calculated using the instrument's calibration data.

3. What is the difference between "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" and other units of measurement for light intensity?

"Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" is a specific unit used in radiometry, while other units such as lumens or lux are used in photometry. The main difference is that radiometry takes into account the entire spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, while photometry only considers the visible portion of the spectrum. Additionally, "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" takes into account the directionality of light, while other units may not.

4. Why is "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" important in scientific research?

"Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" is important in scientific research because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of light intensity. This is crucial in fields such as astronomy, remote sensing, and atmospheric science, where understanding the amount and distribution of electromagnetic radiation is essential for studying various phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" as a unit of measurement?

One limitation of "Greyscale to W/m^2*steradian" is that it does not take into account the human eye's sensitivity to different wavelengths of light. This means that it may not accurately reflect the perceived brightness of a light source. Additionally, this unit only measures the intensity of light and does not provide information about its color or other properties.