Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons, what makes them a act like a wave?

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    If photons exist relatively unbounded by time, then does this mean they're outside of time, or experiencing past/present/future all in the same instance?

Does this imply that they can match the quantum state of any pair photon/electron within some range, which is based on the charge of the electron photon emission.
    Then become entangled with them?

Because of this, wouldn't this single photon then share energy with every neighboring electron/photon pair of the entangled pair?

Creating what we see to be as 'reflection/refraction/absorption'~ etc to be a result of the entangled particles distributing energy.

Leaving what my naive mind doesn't understand. ( big mess )

I guess in the end, I just see "zenos' paradox" and fail to understand this. 'Cus photons still travel in a straight line to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Ninjacocoa, I don't know how you got so far off track. You'll save yourself a lot of time if you just pick up an introductory book on quantum mechanics and read it.

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    Hi there ,
    Ninjacocoa; it'd useful for you to start with basic level of Q.M i.e how it all began.This is when google comes into picture if you serch for the following terms " Dual nature of light"/Youngs double split experiment/EPR Paradox/Schrodinger's cat in a box experiment.

I think you're over loading yourself by coming across various aspects of Q.M .Make an introduction first that would be wise for you.Something which I am following. As far as answering your queries goes, they all are arguable and will most probably be picked by someone.I will start with few: For instance how do you interpret the following 'outside time' ? this to me indicates that time is seen as an absolute parameter .I don't see how past or the future have anything to do photons. Photon don't travel in straight line as Einstein proposed in G.R: The space-time curvature increases the actual distance compared to an apparent one.

In short: The only valid reason for photons to act dual in nature is due to observance,to be precise it's not the photons travelling as waves rather it's the propagation of their wavefunction .So when an observation is made,the collapse in wavefunction corresponds to a given outcome. This is applicable to any particle which shows these quantum effects as the particle size increases so does the likelihood of not seeing them.
    P.S: There has been experiments were partial duality seems to have occurred,something I know in vague detail,as of yet.

-ibysaiyan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook