Physical asymmetry from symmetry

In summary, in their most basic form, quantum mechanics and relativity do not differentiate between past and future, meaning they are symmetric with respect to time. However, this raises the question of how a unified theory can account for temporal asymmetries in nature without introducing new physics. Some suggest that the Higgs potential, which is a symmetric entity, may introduce randomness that breaks the otherwise symmetric wavefunction and metric, leading to an arrow of time. Others argue that there is no concept of time's arrow in physics and it is only defined by the expansion of the universe in LQG cosmology. The second law of thermodynamics and the matter/antimatter asymmetry of the universe are examples of temporal asymmetries that need to
Loren Booda
I recall that in their most basic form, quantum mechanics and relativity do not distinguish between past and future. That is, they are each symmetric with respect to time.

How then does a unified theory account for temporal assymetries in nature without introducing new physics? Can one solely use, say, quantum cosmology to account for the 2nd law of thermodynamics? To explain the matter/antimatter asymmetry of the universe?

The Higgs potential is a mathematically symmetric entity that forces disequilibrium. Perhaps the Higgs itself introduces the singular randomness needed to break the otherwise symmetric wavefunction and metric. Does time's arrow arise from this skew between the true and false vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Better informed people can correct me, but I don't think there's any time's arrow in any physics from Newton to Witten, including Einstein and Feynman. Only the LQG cosmologists may have one since they define their time by the expansion of the universe.

As to how they handle it, they just throw away the "advanced" solutions.

There are of course the two great examples of taking this symmetry seriously: The Wheeler-Feynmann absorber interpetation of Maxwellian electromagnetism, and Cramer's transactional interpretation of QM.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Better informed people can correct me, but I don't think there's any time's arrow in any physics from Newton to Witten, including Einstein and Feynman. Only the LQG cosmologists may have one since they define their time by the expansion of the universe.

I thought the idea was that the second law of thermodynamics at least implied an arrow of time.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I recall that in their most basic form, quantum mechanics and relativity do not distinguish between past and future. That is, they are each symmetric with respect to time.

do you mean that mathematically they don't distinguish between future and past?

In theory, I believe so, lqg.

What is physical asymmetry?

Physical asymmetry refers to the unevenness or lack of symmetry in the physical characteristics of an object or organism. This can include differences in size, shape, or placement of features on either side of a central axis.

What causes physical asymmetry?

Physical asymmetry can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, environmental influences, and developmental processes. For example, some organisms may have genetic mutations that result in asymmetrical features, while others may experience physical trauma or disease that affects their symmetry.

Why is physical asymmetry important in science?

Physical asymmetry is important in science because it can provide valuable insights into the structure, function, and evolution of organisms. By studying asymmetry, scientists can better understand how different forces and processes shape the physical characteristics of living things.

What are some examples of physical asymmetry in nature?

Some common examples of physical asymmetry in nature include the uneven placement of features on the face of a human or animal, the differing sizes of an organism's limbs, and the irregular shape of certain plants or fungi. Other organisms, such as some types of crabs and butterflies, exhibit more extreme and pronounced asymmetry.

How can physical asymmetry impact an organism's survival?

In some cases, physical asymmetry can have a negative impact on an organism's survival. For example, if an animal has unevenly sized limbs, it may struggle to move efficiently or catch prey. However, physical asymmetry can also provide advantages, such as camouflage or improved maneuverability, in certain environments or for specific behaviors.