1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach by McQuarrie and Simon

1. Strongly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

100.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 1, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2
    Does anyone know if this book includes the relationships between temperature, the standard Gibbs' energy, the electromotive force (i.e. cell potentials) and equilibrium constants?

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    I am not sure if the text covers electrochemistry but it does cover temperature, free energies, equilibrium constants, etc.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4
    Thanks.

Does the text cover "isotherms" (don't actually know what they are), their relationship to Gibbs' free energy, and the relationship between Gibbs' energy and the reaction quotient Q?

Quite importantly, does it give nice challenging practice problems?

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5
    He covers those concepts - though I'm not sure what relationship to gibbs free energy you have in mind for isotherms.

I haven't done problems from this book. His stat mech and quantum books have some good problems though so I assume this is similar.

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6
    What my syllabus mentions on isotherms is:

• Simple phase diagrams and the Clapeyron and Clausius-Clapeyron equations, triple and critical points, curves of sublimation, melting and vaporization, isotherm of chemical reactions
    • Adsorption – Physisorption and chemisorption and their characteristics, factors affecting adsorption of gases on solids – Freundlich and Langmuir adsorption isotherms (and relationships of isotherms of adsorption to Gibbs’ free energy), adsorption from solutions.

I'm not expecting all of this to be in the text (e.g. things like Clapeyron equation, triple and critical point, etc. I would happily find elsewhere) but how much coverage of these topics does the book offer?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. Mar 19, 2013 #7
    As far as I remember he covers them as much as any physical chemistry textbook. What makes this book unique is his perspective, with him choose to emphasize the microscopic point of view.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted