Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach by McQuarrie and Simon

For those who have used this book

  • Strongly Recommend

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    2
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know if this book includes the relationships between temperature, the standard Gibbs' energy, the electromotive force (i.e. cell potentials) and equilibrium constants?
 
Big-Daddy said:
Does anyone know if this book includes the relationships between temperature, the standard Gibbs' energy, the electromotive force (i.e. cell potentials) and equilibrium constants?
I am not sure if the text covers electrochemistry but it does cover temperature, free energies, equilibrium constants, etc.
 
Jorriss said:
I am not sure if the text covers electrochemistry but it does cover temperature, free energies, equilibrium constants, etc.

Thanks.

Does the text cover "isotherms" (don't actually know what they are), their relationship to Gibbs' free energy, and the relationship between Gibbs' energy and the reaction quotient Q?

Quite importantly, does it give nice challenging practice problems?
 
Big-Daddy said:
Does the text cover "isotherms" (don't actually know what they are), their relationship to Gibbs' free energy, and the relationship between Gibbs' energy and the reaction quotient Q?

Quite importantly, does it give nice challenging practice problems?
He covers those concepts - though I'm not sure what relationship to gibbs free energy you have in mind for isotherms.

I haven't done problems from this book. His stat mech and quantum books have some good problems though so I assume this is similar.
 
Jorriss said:
He covers those concepts - though I'm not sure what relationship to gibbs free energy you have in mind for isotherms.

I haven't done problems from this book. His stat mech and quantum books have some good problems though so I assume this is similar.

What my syllabus mentions on isotherms is:

  • Simple phase diagrams and the Clapeyron and Clausius-Clapeyron equations, triple and critical points, curves of sublimation, melting and vaporization, isotherm of chemical reactions
  • Adsorption – Physisorption and chemisorption and their characteristics, factors affecting adsorption of gases on solids – Freundlich and Langmuir adsorption isotherms (and relationships of isotherms of adsorption to Gibbs’ free energy), adsorption from solutions.

I'm not expecting all of this to be in the text (e.g. things like Clapeyron equation, triple and critical point, etc. I would happily find elsewhere) but how much coverage of these topics does the book offer?
 
Last edited:
As far as I remember he covers them as much as any physical chemistry textbook. What makes this book unique is his perspective, with him choose to emphasize the microscopic point of view.