Physical Chemistry: Estimating ΔG of an Ideal Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Nick_273
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Estimate ΔG for the process where one mol of ideal gas is subjected to an increase in
pressure from 1.00 atm to 11.0 atm at 25.0°C.


Homework Equations


ΔG=ΔH-TΔS
ΔH=C(p,m)(Tf-Ti


The Attempt at a Solution


Seems straight forward, but it seems i am not given enough information to complete the problem. I need C(p,m)? It does say estimate. Does that mean that i only need to imply that the Gibbs free energy will be possitive, negative, or 0?

If you can help me clarify the problem that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not. Does this equation apply?

ΔG = nRTln(Pf/Pi)

I found it in my notes but can't find it anywhere in the text.
 
Hi Nick_273! :smile:

Nick_273 said:
No, it does not. Does this equation apply?

ΔG = nRTln(Pf/Pi)

I found it in my notes but can't find it anywhere in the text.

Yep, it applies (for an isothermal process on an ideal gas).