1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: Compression of an Adiabatic Gas

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume 1.500 mol of a monatomic ideal gas is compressed from 3.00 L to 1.00 L.

a. If the initial and final temperature is 10.0 °C, what are the initial and final pressures (in atm)?

b. How much work input (in kJ) is required if a reversible isothermal path at 10.0 °C is followed?

c. How much work input (in kJ) is required if the compression is adiabatic rather than isothermal? Assume the initial temperature is 10.0 °C.

2. Relevant equations
    PV=nRT
    w=-nRTln(vf/vi)
    U=q+w

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got both a and b using the first two equations I listed. I got the inital pressure to be 11.6 atm and the final pressure to be 34.8 atm. For the second part I got the work to be 3.88 kJ.

I'm stuck on the third part. I know adiabatic means that there no change in U, so q=-w but I don't know how that applies to the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You're missing an equation for the energy U of an ideal gas. And adiabatic does not mean ΔU = 0, it means q = 0.

4. Mar 22, 2017 #3
    So ΔU=-PΔV, where U=w

But the problem isn't isobaric, so that equation wouldn't work. I can't seem to find another equation though...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted