Physical difference between various wave functions

In summary, the three wave functions given are only different in their constant factors, and when normalized, they will all have the same function. This is because the physical significance lies in the magnitude of the wave function, which does not contain any imaginary parts. Therefore, the wave functions do not have a physical difference between them. However, if they are assumed to be realizable states, they would need to be normalizable, which would result in different values for the exponent depending on the constant factor in front.
jror

Homework Statement

Is there a physical difference between the following wave functions? If yes, why? If no, why not?

[itex] \Psi(x,0) =5e^{-ax^2}[/itex]
[itex] \Psi(x,0) =\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{3}}e^{-ax^2}[/itex]
[itex] \Psi(x,0) =e^{i\pi/7}e^{-ax^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

They only differ in the constant factors, and since we are speaking about physical significance we are interested in [itex] |\Psi(x,0)|^2[/itex], which contain no imaginary parts. If I assume that these are realizable states they would have to be normalizable, in which case the a's in the exponents would have set values depending on the constant factor in front? If that is the case then yes these wave functions differ in how quickly they decay as we move away from [itex] x=0 [/itex]. I am just not completely convinced by my own argument, and if this is what is meant in the exercise. Any input would be very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
jror said:
If I assume that these are realizable states they would have to be normalizable, in which case the a's in the exponents would have set values depending on the constant factor in front?
'Normalisable' only means that they can be converted to a ket of norm (magnitude) 1 by multiplying by a constant. It doesn't mean they already have a norm of 1. That would be 'normalised' not 'normalisable'.

If we normalise those three wave functions we will end up with three identical functions.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a physical system that describes the probability of finding a particle in a given location and state. It is an essential concept in quantum mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. What are the different types of wave functions?

There are several types of wave functions, including plane waves, Gaussian waves, and standing waves. Each type has a unique mathematical form and is used to describe different physical phenomena.

3. How do wave functions differ from one another?

Wave functions differ from one another in terms of their amplitude, frequency, and wavelength. These properties determine the behavior and characteristics of the wave, such as its shape and energy.

4. How does the physical difference between wave functions affect their behavior?

The physical difference between wave functions can significantly impact their behavior. For example, wave functions with higher amplitudes will have more energy and can travel further, while those with shorter wavelengths will have a higher frequency and can carry more information.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the physical difference between wave functions?

Understanding the physical difference between wave functions is crucial in many fields, including quantum mechanics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of waves, which is essential in many technological advancements and scientific discoveries.