Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Physical interpretation of Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector

1. Nov 10, 2016 #1
    ##P^{\mu}## generates translations and extracts the four-momentum of a particle when it acts on the momentum eigenstate of a particle.

##J^{\mu\nu}## generates rotations and measures the spin angular momentum along the ##i##-direction of a particle when it acts on the ##i##-th direction spin angular momentum eigenstate of a particle.

The Pauli-Lubanski psuedo-vector is given by ##W_{\mu}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\sigma\rho\tau}J^{\sigma\rho}P^{\tau}## such that
    ##W_{\mu}|P,j,j_{z}\rangle = -mJ_{i}|P,j,j_{z}\rangle,## where ##|P,j,j_{z}\rangle## is a momentum space eigenstate representing a particle of spin ##j## at rest with ##P^{\mu}=(m,0,0,0)## and ##m\neq 0##.

What is the physical interpretation of ##W_{\mu}##?

To prove that ##[J_{\mu\nu},W^{2}]=0##, an explicit form of ##[J_{\mu\nu},W_{\rho}]## is necessary. One way to obtain ##[J_{\mu\nu},W_{\rho}]## is to define ##I=\frac{i} {8}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}J^{\alpha\beta}J^{\gamma\delta}## and show that ##W_{\rho}=[I,P_{\rho}]## and ##[J_{\mu\nu},I]=0##.

What is an easy way to show that ##[J_{\mu\nu},I]=0## using the epsilon symbol in ##I##?

##I## is a scalar as all the indices are ##0##, so why can not say that ##[J_{\mu\nu},W^{2}]=0## trivially?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The Pauli Lubanski vector is pretty intuitive, when you familiarize yourself with Wigner's analysis of the irreducible unitary representations of the orthochronous proper Poincare group, the space-time symmetry group of special relativity. It provides the infinitesimal generators of the socalled little group associated with the representation. For details, see Appendix B of my lecture notes on QFT,

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted