Electrical Energy: 30-Day Output from Coal Plant

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the total electrical energy generated by a power plant in a 30-day period, given its average power output and waste heat discharge. The solution involves using the equation W = J/sec and correctly calculating the total energy as 4.826x10^15 J. The user also realizes their mistake in using the incorrect value for waste heat in their initial attempt.
agargento

Homework Statement

A power plant burns coal and generates an average of 700.0 Megawatts (MW) of electrical power while discharging 1162.00 MW as waste heat. Find the total electrical energy generated by the plant in a 30-day period.

Homework Equations

W = J/sec

The Attempt at a Solution

Total of, 1862 MW, which are 1.862x10^9 W.
In 30 days there are 2.592x10^6 seconds.

So,
1.862x10^9 * 2.592x10^6 = 4.826x10^15 J.

I don't know why it's incorrect. This is a question from an online learning system, and it tells me this answer is wrong. Would love some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of waste heat?

Where do you see the 1862 ? It asks for generated electrical energy !?

gneill said:
What is your definition of waste heat?

Oh wow, I don't know why I did that. I got all the answers now, thanks!

Likes Simon Clement

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is a form of energy that is created by moving electric charges. It is the energy that powers most of our modern devices and is essential for our daily lives.

2. How is electrical energy produced from a coal plant?

A coal plant uses coal as a fuel source to heat water and create steam. The steam then turns a turbine, which is connected to a generator. The generator converts the mechanical energy from the turbine into electrical energy, which is then transmitted through power lines to homes and businesses.

3. How much electrical energy can a coal plant produce in 30 days?

The amount of electrical energy produced by a coal plant in 30 days can vary depending on its size and efficiency. On average, a coal plant can produce around 600 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electrical energy per day, which equals to 18,000 kWh in 30 days.

4. What are the environmental impacts of using coal as a source of electrical energy?

Coal is a non-renewable resource and its extraction can have negative impacts on the environment, such as air and water pollution. Burning coal also releases greenhouse gases, contributing to climate change. However, modern coal plants have advanced technologies in place to reduce these impacts.

5. What are the alternatives to using coal for electrical energy production?

Some alternatives to using coal for electrical energy production include renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal energy. These sources are considered more environmentally friendly and sustainable in the long run.