Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physicist (master degree) working in a large city's hospital?

  1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Is there appealing work for a physicist in a hospital that doesn't involve routine scans, etc?

    When i'm done with my study, i'll have completed two additional government courses that officially allow one to not only work with, but operate a laboratory containing radioactive sources.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Do you mean work as a medical physicist?

    There's a lot of work available if you're qualified, and the further you go, the less routine it becomes. Technologists and therapists handle the routine scans (CT, MRI, PET, ultrasound, SPECT, etc.) and radiation therapies. Physicists are involved at the level of calibration, treatment planning, QA program maintenance and design, radiation protection, systems support, program evaluation, general problem solving and consultation, and most importantly research.
  4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    Sounds good. I mean any physics-related job actually. The reason i'm asking is because i live in a city where i'd like to stay, but might not be able to find a job after i complete my study. There is, however, a big academic hospital, which might provide something.

    Do you know how well those kind of jobs pay and if it's a decent foundation to make a career on?
  5. Jan 15, 2009 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Medical physics generally requires a graduate degree in the field and a further two years of clinical training (residency), so it isn't really the kind of thing you can just walk into with a general physics background (although that's not to say that no one does this, just it just isn't that common anymore).

    Many radiation therapy hospitals will hire "physics techs" to do the routine QA work.

    There's also radiation safety officer positions that are usually filled by physicists.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook