1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Math teaching textbook reccomendations

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    Hey,
    I'm a 16 year old at high school and I feel as if my Physics and Mathematical concepts are lacking in depth. I've tried reading the Feynman Lectures, but I always get lost on the mathematical portions. What would you suggest for me to build up a solid base in both these fields so I can move on to the more advanced stuff?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hello,

Can you tell us what math you already know (what classes did you take).
    And can you tell us somewhat more specifically what math you're having troubles with? It helps me giving a good recommendation.

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    I'm rin an extended math class, where we've already covered a majority of algebra, basic statistics and a touch of first order derivations in calculus, which isn't at all fulfilling, because we haven't been taught limitations and I (due to lack of depth) can't find a reason to derive. I'm not having touble per send, my issue lies in depth and not understanding why; if that makes any sense.

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you want to gain deep knowledge of calculus, then you'll need to work through Spivak's calculus book. It's a tough book, but I think it's what you're looking for. It gives proofs of the derivative laws, limit laws, integrals, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook