Physics-based jobs for Masters Comp Sci?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a job in scientific computation without a PhD and the individual's educational background, which includes a BS in Applied Math, BA in Chemistry, MS in Comp Sci, and BA in Physics. The individual is interested in pursuing a career in scientific computing or computational physics and is unsure about mentioning their 4 degrees on their resume or their age (29) when entering the workforce. The conversation also includes a link to an article about the DSP market and the advice to do what you love regardless of age.
Eruditee
Is there any type of job that utilizes scientific computation that does not require a PhD? I really enjoy DSP (digital signals processing), yet it seems like most of those do not want anyone aside from an electrical engineer. My educational background is "too much" but I'll explain it as I go:

I have a BS in Applied Math -- I finished this in 2 years because I was going for an MS in something not chemistry
BA in Chemistry - I intended on being a Physical Chemist, but after I did some tours, I saw it was low-paid with a lot of comptetition for the armchair theorists
MS in Comp Sci (to be completed) because I had worked with computers for awhile and thought this to be the most lucrative choise. I also love the stuff as it's nicely packaged for an autodidact.
BA Physics (focus on Mathematical/Statistical/Computational).

I'm not sure to mention all 4 on my resume. I got them in 5 1/2 yrs, solely because of the overlap. I optimally would like to get a job doing scientific computtng or computational physics. Does this exist?

Also, I'm going to 29 when I enter. I had to be on disability for 2 years because of other illness and started late. Should I mention that I was on disability, as long as I am not when they interview me? Will anyone want a MSCS at 29 with no corporate experience ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an interesting bit on the DSP market
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1275520

Forget about age. Just do what you love. You may have to start from the lowest rung, but you'll eventually climb the ladder like anyone else as you gain experience.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a Masters in Computer Science and a background in Physics?

With a Masters in Computer Science and a background in Physics, you can pursue jobs in a variety of fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, computational physics, software engineering, and more. Your background in physics can give you an edge in fields that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

2. What skills do I need to have for a physics-based job in computer science?

Some key skills that are beneficial for physics-based jobs in computer science include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, proficiency in programming languages such as Python, Java, or C++, and the ability to think critically and analytically. Additionally, having a good understanding of data analysis and algorithms can also be helpful.

3. Are there any specific industries that offer physics-based jobs for Masters in Computer Science graduates?

Physics-based jobs in computer science can be found in a variety of industries, including healthcare, finance, aerospace, energy, and technology. For example, in the healthcare industry, you could work on developing algorithms for medical imaging or analyzing large datasets for drug discovery.

4. Do I need to have a background in both physics and computer science to pursue these types of jobs?

While having a background in both physics and computer science can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many employers are looking for candidates who have a strong foundation in computer science and are open to learning about physics concepts as needed. However, having a basic understanding of physics principles can give you an advantage in certain roles.

5. What are the future prospects for physics-based jobs in computer science?

The future prospects for physics-based jobs in computer science are very promising. With the increasing amount of data being generated in various industries, there is a growing demand for professionals who can analyze and make sense of this data. Additionally, advancements in technologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence are creating new opportunities for individuals with a background in both physics and computer science.