Newbie to physics, a composer, considering comp sci as career

In summary: Depending on the field you want to pursue, you may be able to get a job without a degree, but it would be more difficult and you would likely work for less money. Some fields, such as computer science, may actually prefer someone with a degree. I hope this was of some help.
Product of Motion
How did you find PF?: google search

Hello fellow explorers in all regards.

A bit of background on myself.
I am first and foremost a musician and in particular a composer. I went to college at 18 studying music at an art school in the united states. Long story short, I spent a lost of time practing guitar and composing, but not at all studying classical technique/theory (oops, turns out that stuff is actually extremely game changing. However, I actually feel my perhaps more intuitive writing style at that period was instrumental {pun intended} in my evolution as a composer and I now embrace analysis in full, but there is always an ebb and flow of conscious vs unconscious and what is the difference betwixt planning an outline and fleshing it out...almost blurred sometimes it seems...I digress).

Now, onto something more relevant to this forum. In the past 3 years I discovered that I don't actually hate math and it actually became my favorite academic subject. However, I felt perhaps that pure mathematics was too abstract and bound in thought, and decided I would like to pursue more of a focus in physics because it appeals more to the senses.

I am quite interested in learning more about sound and waves, and curious about the link between chemistry and physics in regard to sound. What exactly do chemists discover that physicists then use to understand sound better and so on.

Beyond, all this I am seriously considering computer science/programming as a future career as it seems like it would allow for both intelligent and creative problem solving if that makes sense.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
@Product of Motion
Tough change to consider. Nice basic goals. Courses in Physics, eventually, may help you regarding understanding sound, such as from and within different musical instruments; and also in relation to environments where music may be played or performed; places such as theatres. Coursework in Computer Science and Programming would not go wasted either. Useful very much in Physics as well as in all Sciences. You must already be aware of software for writing musical notation. You must already be aware of technologies which may let musicians play, interfaced to a computer and some software may convert that which is expressed into musical notation. You may already be ware of "digital pianos".

You will need to go through a big bunch of Mathematics (courses) which you did not previously plan to; but which you would need for the study of Physics and Computer Science.

Mmm well not a change really, but I don't see myself ever making a living off my music and even if given the opportunity I'm not sure I would be able to make the sacrifices necessary. For example, I was in a band and we toured (small low key, we set up the shows) two summers back to back and if anything I would much rather be a film and or game composer, because honestly touring is a tough tough gig that can really wear you down and I only had a glimpse, simply not for me atleast not full time I believe.

symbolipoint said:
Courses in Physics, eventually, may help you regarding understanding sound, such as from and within different musical instruments;

Do you have any good book recommendations or lecture series for sound in particular? Should I learn more mechanics first or do you think one could jump into learning about things like timbre and how sound waves move and propogate and learn the mechanics as you go?

symbolipoint said:
You must already be aware of software for writing musical notation.

Umm yes indeed, totally augmented and changed the way that I write in a profound way. Okay wow, thanks I feel pretty inspired to learn more about the way notion software works...definitely there are some bugs and glitches in the one that I use unfortunately, but none the less does the trick so to speak.How challenging do you think it is to get a comp. sci/programming career without a degree? I'm unsure about going through with that, but perhaps it is too important.

Other members may be able to respond to most of what you replied, but this part here I could say something:
Product of Motion said:
How challenging do you think it is to get a comp. sci/programming career without a degree? I'm unsure about going through with that, but perhaps it is too important.
Again I say, you need to build up your Mathematics coursework, in case you have not done so already, so you would be able to handle the (Physics and) Computer Sciences courses which you would/could choose. How challenging, either very challenging or extremely challenging. I do not say "impossible" because I do not thoroughly know your situation and not know how much time you have. "Without a degree"? Choose your courses from the point of view of trying to earn a degree, but not necessarily do as much courses as an undegrad student would take. Computer Science graduates, or even people who have similar skill and knowledge but without degree, might advise you better on selection of courses.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I think that's a good point to consider about not taking too large of a class load.

1. What is the relationship between physics, music composition, and computer science?

Physics and music composition share a strong connection through the principles of sound and acoustics. Understanding the physics of sound can greatly enhance a composer's ability to create and manipulate music. Similarly, computer science is important in both fields as it allows for the creation of digital music software and tools, as well as the analysis and manipulation of sound waves.

2. How can a background in physics benefit a career in computer science?

A background in physics can provide a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, which are crucial in computer science. Additionally, understanding the principles of physics can be useful in fields such as data science and artificial intelligence.

3. Is computer science a good career choice for a composer?

It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. However, many composers have found success in incorporating computer science into their work, whether it be through creating digital music or using computational tools to enhance their compositions.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a background in physics, music composition, and computer science?

Some potential career paths include working as a software developer for music technology companies, pursuing a career in data science or artificial intelligence for music and sound applications, or teaching at the intersection of physics and music.

5. Are there any specific skills or courses I should focus on to combine my interests in physics, music composition, and computer science?

Courses in digital signal processing, computer music, and music technology can provide a solid foundation for incorporating computer science into music composition. Additionally, courses in data science, programming, and artificial intelligence can be useful for exploring the intersection of physics and computer science.