1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics book like spivak's calculus

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I am studying electromagnetism and I can't skip a topic and go to the next unless I learn it. Can any one please suggest a physics book and a calculus book on multivariables as rigorous as spivak's calculus?
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
  4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    I'm not familiar with this text but it covers very advanced topics. I kind of doubt that is a good book for someone who also asked for a book on multivariable calc.

To the OP, I don't have experience with this book but you may want to read about https://www.amazon.com/Electricity-Magnetism-Berkeley-Physics-Course/dp/0070049084/ref=pd_sim_b_30 more.

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
  6. Apr 20, 2012 #5
    I see what you mean, I tend to like formal rigour so Schwinger's text seems right up my alley. I wouldn't have even looked at it unless I had my courses in complex variables, PDE's and fourier analysis though and even skimming the book seems very daunting. For a junior senior undergrad without as much math probably wangsness is a better text.

https://www.amazon.com/Electromagnetic-Fields-Roald-K-Wangsness/dp/0471811866

7. Apr 20, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For multivariable, I can recommend Fleming's "Functions in several variables". Quite rigorous and complete book, but also elementary. It goes right up to proving Stokes theorem.

8. Apr 26, 2012 #7
    Spivak's 'Calculus on Manifolds' is a multivariable calculus book similar in rigor to Spivak's 'Calculus', as is Munkre's 'Analysis on Manifolds'. You should be able to handle the first 3 chapters of Calc on Manifolds with little issue (no issue if you have some linear algebra under your belt). Chapters 4 and 5 are much more difficult IMO.

You can try going right into them, but if it turns out to be too much Bachman's 'A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms' is a more elementary (but less rigorous) guide to the subject matter of these chapters. You could read this to get a feel for the material, and then go back to Calculus on Manifolds. If I recall correctly, both books are around 130 pages. Bachman's book mostly has problems with calculations as opposed to proofs, which would also be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook