Book list for a person with lots of interest in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's desire to learn physics from textbooks and their search for a comprehensive list of recommended books. They mention a famous blog post on the topic and their own personal recommendations for books used in their undergraduate studies. There is also a list of mechanics books provided for further reading. Finally, the conversation ends with a request for additional resources and a discussion on the order in which to study mathematics and physics.
nervousring
I'm sorry if you get this question often. I wish there was a definitive list at the top of Google searches but there wasn't.

I want to learn physics from textbooks. I know basics of Trigonometry. I went through a third of Kline's calculus and found it doable and enjoyable. I also tried Spivak. While the lessons seem to make sense, the "proof this and this" leaves me a little stumped as to where I should start from.

susanrigetti.com has a famous blog post "So you want to learn physics?" and I've often seen people disagreeing with particular books but not presenting their own comprehensive lists. So to keep this thread short in case it is not good for this forum, I'll want to know if it is a "good enough" list. If not, please let me know the books I should go through, starting from a good calculus book I think, to understanding graduate level physics.

Thanks

Likes madscientist_93
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can only tell you the books I used in undergrad.

calculus 1-3 - Stewart
Linear Algebra - Larson
Diff Eq - Boyce, DePrima
Mathematical Methods - Boas
E&M - Griffiths
Quantum 1 and 2 - Griffiths
Classical Mechanics - Marion and Thornton
Thermodynamics - Schroeder
Optics - Hecht

Likes nervousring
I suppose Susan's list is ok.

I think Young and freedman is an ok book for introductory mechanics and a first course on electromagnetism. But you probably want to supplement it with thinks like the Feynman lectures or Alonso & Finn. It is an ok first reading for modern physics, but you should strive for something a little higher level like Alonso & Finn.

Though, my biggest disagreement is in quantum mechanics. I found Griffiths to be not enough if you are going to be a physicists. It is a good first reading, it has good exercises but it is just not enough on its own for undergrad QM. Go shankar or Cohen-Tannoudji.

Likes nervousring
Ms.Susan's list of books consist mostly of mainstream texts which are alright for an average student. However, if you want to seriously learn physics from the scratch, you cannot forget older treatises which have better pedagogy and a lot of thought provoking problems in my opinion.

For introductory mathematics I recommend Analytic Geometry,Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Vector Analysis and Differential equations by HB Phillips

A small list of Mechanics books to accompany your contemporary texts.

Introductory :
Mechanics,Molecular Physics, Heat and Sound by Millikan,Roller,Watson (One of the best introductory texts in all of physics in my opinion.)

Introduction to Mechanics and Heat by Nathaniel Frank
Intermediate - Advanced:
Mechanics by Wallace Arthur and Saul K Fenster

Introduction to Theoretical Mechanics by Robert Becker (Beware this book is not for the faint of the heart. This has some really good problems.)

A treatise on dynamics of a particle by EJ Routh ( This book has some great problems/ examples , also do check out his works on dynamics of rigid bodies)

Dynamics by Horace Lamb

Higher Mechanics by Horace Lamb

Principles of Mechanics by Synge and Griffith

Theoretical mechanics: an introduction to mathematical physics by Ames and Murnaghan

Theoretical Mechanics by Bradbury

Mechanics by Slater and Frank

An elementary treatise on Theoretical Mechanics by Jeans

The dynamics of particles and of rigid,elastic and fluid bodies by Arthur Gordon Webster

Statics and Dynamics of a particle by MacMillan

Dynamics of Rigid bodies by MacMillan

Newton - Euler Dynamics by Mark Aderma

Mechanics by Landau, Lifshitz

Mechanics by Sommerfeld

Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter and Walecka

Advanced Dynamics by Timoshenko and Young

Classical Dynamics and Advanced Dynamics by Donald Greenwood

Introduction to Dynamics by Percival and Richards

A treatise on the analytical dynamics of particles and rigid bodies by ET Whittaker( How could I forget this !)

So many books, so little time...

As a proponent of open science, I hope its alright to post this here. Guide to finding articles/books

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz and nervousring
andresB said:

I think Young and freedman is an ok book for introductory mechanics and a first course on electromagnetism. But you probably want to supplement it with thinks like the Feynman lectures or Alonso & Finn. It is an ok first reading for modern physics, but you should strive for something a little higher level like Alonso & Finn.

Though, my biggest disagreement is in quantum mechanics. I found Griffiths to be not enough if you are going to be a physicists. It is a good first reading, it has good exercises but it is just not enough on its own for undergrad QM. Go shankar or Cohen-Tannoudji.
For an introductory book on QM do check out Fundamentals of Quantum Mechanics ; Particles, Waves, and Wave Mechanics by Sidney Borowitz

Likes nervousring
PhDeezNutz said:
Well I can only tell you the books I used in undergrad.

calculus 1-3 - Stewart
Linear Algebra - Larson
Diff Eq - Boyce, DePrima
Mathematical Methods - Boas
E&M - Griffiths
Quantum 1 and 2 - Griffiths
Classical Mechanics - Marion and Thornton
Thermodynamics - Schroeder
Optics - Hecht
Thanks! Did you do all the maths books before physics? Or simultaneously?
andresB said:

Oh alright. I think she had multiple QM books listen for Graduate studies.
madscientist_93 said:
Ms.Susan's list of books consist mostly of mainstream texts which are alright for an average student. However, if you want to seriously learn physics from the scratch, you cannot forget older treatises which have better pedagogy and a lot of thought provoking problems in my opinion.

For introductory mathematics I recommend Analytic Geometry,Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Vector Analysis and Differential equations by HB Phillips

A small list of Mechanics books to accompany your contemporary texts.

Introductory :
Mechanics,Molecular Physics, Heat and Sound by Millikan,Roller,Watson (One of the best introductory texts in all of physics in my opinion.)

Introduction to Mechanics and Heat by Nathaniel Frank
Intermediate - Advanced:
Mechanics by Wallace Arthur and Saul K Fenster

Introduction to Theoretical Mechanics by Robert Becker (Beware this book is not for the faint of the heart. This has some really good problems.)

A treatise on dynamics of a particle by EJ Routh ( This book has some great problems/ examples , also do check out his works on dynamics of rigid bodies)

Dynamics by Horace Lamb

Higher Mechanics by Horace Lamb

Principles of Mechanics by Synge and Griffith

Theoretical mechanics: an introduction to mathematical physics by Ames and Murnaghan

Theoretical Mechanics by Bradbury

Mechanics by Slater and Frank

An elementary treatise on Theoretical Mechanics by Jeans

The dynamics of particles and of rigid,elastic and fluid bodies by Arthur Gordon Webster

Statics and Dynamics of a particle by MacMillan

Dynamics of Rigid bodies by MacMillan

Newton - Euler Dynamics by Mark Aderma

Mechanics by Sommerfeld

Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter and Walecka

Advanced Dynamics by Timoshenko and Young

Classical Dynamics and Advanced Dynamics by Donald Greenwood

Introduction to Dynamics by Percival and Richards

So many books, so little time...

As a proponent of open science, I hope its alright to post this here. Guide to finding articles/books
So are these more like supplementary texts to her list or you think I should study these ones first and then study from her list if I like?
madscientist_93 said:
Thanks!

nervousring said:
I'm sorry if you get this question often. I wish there was a definitive list at the top of Google searches but there wasn't.

I want to learn physics from textbooks. I know basics of Trigonometry. I went through a third of Kline's calculus and found it doable and enjoyable. I also tried Spivak. While the lessons seem to make sense, the "proof this and this" leaves me a little stumped as to where I should start from.

susanrigetti.com has a famous blog post "So you want to learn physics?" and I've often seen people disagreeing with particular books but not presenting their own comprehensive lists. So to keep this thread short in case it is not good for this forum, I'll want to know if it is a "good enough" list. If not, please let me know the books I should go through, starting from a good calculus book I think, to understanding graduate level physics.

Thanks
It’s good enough for the undergraduate stuff. Everybody is going to quibble with it, but at the end of the day the question is ”does the book work for YOU?” If one of the books doesn’t work for you, ask and you will get suggestions for many alternatives. There is no perfect list of books.

@nervousring yes, typically you complete a number of math courses before you’re allowed to take upper level undergrad courses (3000-4000 level).

However 2000 level physics is often taken concurrently with said math courses.

Likes nervousring
@caz @PhDeezNutz thanks! I was having huge analysis paralysis. I think I'm going to continue with Kline and intro to mechanics in Young's book :D

nervousring said:
Thanks! Did you do all the maths books before physics? Or simultaneously?

Oh alright. I think she had multiple QM books listen for Graduate studies.

So are these more like supplementary texts to her list or you think I should study these ones first and then study from her list if I like?

Thanks!
I recommend using the books in my list as a reference. No author can explain all theories satisfactorily. For example: Take Kleppner and Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics. Its Rigid body mechanics, oscillations chapters leave a lot to be desired. From my search, I found Routh and Whitaker's Textbooks with great chapters on rigid bodies. I found a great chapter on oscillations in Wallace, Fenster book. And these books are relatively old and no one mentions them anymore except for some authors who strictly add references in their book.

People tend to over look older treatises on physics, when recommending books to new learners which I don't agree with. If you really wish to master mechanics, read the same topic from multiple textbooks, papers and understand their various perspectives,insights and finally form your own conclusion for the topic. If you sincerely wish to understand physics, i think this is the way albeit being a long and tiring way. However if clearing exams is your objective, stick to one or two books.

Last edited:
madscientist_93 said:
I recommend using the books in my list as a reference. No author can explain all theories satisfactorily. For example: Take Kleppner and Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics. Its Rigid body mechanics, oscillations chapters leave a lot to be desired. From my search, I found Routh and Whitaker's Textbooks with great chapters on rigid bodies. I found a great chapter on oscillations in Wallace, Fenster book. And these books are relatively old and no one mentions them anymore except for some authors who strictly add references in their book.

People tend to over look older treatises on physics, when recommending books to new learner which I don't agree with. If you really wish to master mechanics, read the same topic from multiple textbooks, papers and understand their various perspectives,insights and finally form your own conclusion for the topic. If you sincerely wish to understand physics, i think this is the way albeit being a long and tiring way. However if clearing exams is your objective, stick to one or two books.
I'm interested in understanding. I'm not sure "mastery" is what I want in mechanics but I would like to understand at least the fundamentals of everything in a typical UG as well as a PG course :)

@nervousring I think all of us have analysis paralysis when we start physics. It’s intimidating for sure.

best of luck!

one piece of advice:

lower 2000 level physics will be intuitive. When you get to 3000 - 4000 level you need to learn how to let go of comfortable pictures and slowly learn ideas that make no sense at first. It may even take years for those ideas to solidify but you got to keep on trucking.

/soapbox

Likes madscientist_93 and nervousring
madscientist_93 said:
Introduction to Theoretical Mechanics by Robert Becker (Beware this book is not for the faint of the heart. This has some really good

“Theoretical Mechanics” sounds like grad material. I really wished we had more exposure to canonical transformations, action-angle variables etc in undergrad. Then again maybe I’m being overzealous.

How does this text compare to Goldstein in your opinion?

PhDeezNutz said:
“Theoretical Mechanics” sounds like grad material. I really wished we had more exposure to canonical transformations, action-angle variables etc in undergrad. Then again maybe I’m being overzealous.

How does this text compare to Goldstein in your opinion?
Becker's Introduction to Theoretical mechanics is of advanced ( Edit: I should have written intermediate ) undergrad level unlike Goldstein. Alternatives / books on the same level of Goldstein would be

E.T Whittaker's : A treatise on the analytical dynamics of particles and rigid bodies

The dynamics of particles and of rigid, elastic and fluid bodies by AG Webster

Dynamics of a system of Rigid bodies volume 1 and Volume 2 by EJ Routh

Introduction to Dynamics by Perceival and Richards

Mechanics by Florian Scheck

Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and continua by Fetter, Walecka

and ofcourse the infamous

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
madscientist_93 said:
Becker's Introduction to Theoretical mechanics is of advanced undergrad level unlike Goldstein. Alternatives / books on the same level of Goldstein would be

Unlike goldstein? We used with goldstein in the second course of "intermediate" mechanics, advanced undergrad is good place for it, IMHO.

Alonso & Finn for introductory mechanics
Marion for intermediate on-analytical mechanics
Goldstein for analytical mechanics.

I should have done more exercises of young & freedman in introductory mechanics, though.

Likes madscientist_93
andresB said:
Unlike goldstein? We used with goldstein in the second course of "intermediate" mechanics, advanced undergrad is good place for it, IMHO.

Alonso & Finn for introductory mechanics
Marion for intermediate on-analytical mechanics
Goldstein for analytical mechanics.

I should have done more exercises of young & freedman in introductory mechanics, though.
I really like Alonso and Finn. Too bad it is out of print and the available English copies are expensive.

MidgetDwarf said:
I really like Alonso and Finn. Too bad it is out of print and the available English copies are expensive.
It was popular in my university for some reason, and that was good because in my undergrad days in a low tier 3rd world university when most of us didn't have access to internet and pirate copies of books, we studied with whatever we had at hand.

I only had Griffiths and Messiah for QM, and the gap in between those was painful.

1. What are the top books to read for someone interested in physics?

Some popular books for those interested in physics include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

2. Are there any books that make complex physics concepts easier to understand?

Yes, there are many books that aim to explain complex physics concepts in a more accessible way. Some examples include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on quantum physics?

Yes, there are several books that delve into the fascinating world of quantum physics, including "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

4. Are there any books that explore the intersection of physics and other subjects?

Absolutely! "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene discusses the connections between physics and mathematics, while "The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence Krauss explores the science behind the popular TV show. "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios also examines the physics principles behind comic book characters.

5. Are there any books that focus on the history of physics?

Yes, there are many books that delve into the rich history of physics, including "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson, and "The Age of Entanglement" by Louisa Gilder.