• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics Book to do along with Calc I through III?

• Intro Physics
  • Thread starter CrunchBerries
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am working through "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons, and he does touch on some physics problems, but I would like to expand on this and add the Physics to it.

I do have high school physics as a base, but I would like a physics book(s) that covers Physics 1&2, then maybe even Electromagnetism and so on? Maybe some of the free physics books can be suggested as well?

How about the Introductory Physics 1&2 from the free books thread?

I am also prepared to purchase some books if they offer a better learning experience/problem sets.

Thanks in advance!

Answers and Replies

How about Univeristy Physics with Modern Physics by Bauer/Westfall ? I was also looking at An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner/Kolenkow - but the latter would require a gap filling as I understand it?

Thanks

I'd recommend Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics I and II. They're good books, and a series of his lectures teaching the university classes from them is available to watch for free online. They're also very reasonably priced at less than $30 each.

If you just want books and don't care about video lectures, and if you want to save a lot of money, you could get both volumes of an older edition of Halliday and Resnick. I learned out of one of the 90s editions, and i still use them for reference.