1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics books with less math and more words

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    i am really interested in physics (Mostly particle physics, quantum mechanics and elementary particles) and i have finally decided that i want to get a physics book to read. Unfortunately i am a high school student and only have about a gr11 knowledge on math and physics (no calculus yet). Can anyone recommend we any physics books i can learn from that don't require the knowledge of math that i do not have, so maybe books which are basically all words. Theirs got to be some?:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2012 #2
  4. Jul 7, 2012 #3
    http://www.lightandmatter.com/
    There are a few different books here depending on how comfortable you are with the math. None go beyond basic calculus. If you are really interested in physics you should read the "Mechanics" one and "Calculus".

If you are really interested in elementary particles, you have a lot to learn before you get to that subject. The introductory stuff actually turns out to be more important that you might thing when you get to QM.

There are also a bunch of pop-sci books that can satiate your need for fringe physics, but don't put too much faith in their every word.

(also, if you are interested in physics as a profession, learn to program)

5. Jul 7, 2012 #4
    Why program? Do you actually need it for every physics job because i tried programming and really found it boring?

6. Jul 8, 2012 #5
    You might really like 'Conceptual physics' by Hewitt.

'Flying circus', suggested by Jorriss is a really good book, but it isn't ordered to make you learn the concepts systematically. Its more of a book that takes fun real life problems and deals with the physics behind them.

7. Jul 8, 2012 #6
    For most, if not all, theoretical physics jobs, some programming will be required. For experimental research, I'm sure computer literacy (including UNIX) is important, but programming may not be as important.

I also was bored by programming when I was younger. It seemed tedious and most books spend way too much time talking about things that are meaningless until you know how to write basic programs. When I went to college, I had to take a programming class and about a quarter of the way through I realized that programming is really like solving physics problems. Even if you don't find it interesting now, I bet you'll like it more than you think as you get more exposure. It's better to learn the fundamentals of physics.

8. Jul 20, 2012 #7
    Here's another vote for 'Conceptual Physics' by Paul G. Hewitt. The most advanced that his math gets is the use of the proportionality symbol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook