Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics career and guy with long hair?

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    Silly question I know but can you have a career as a physicist and be a guy with longer hair?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    Einstein had sort of "long" hair, though it was more of a fro. Hippie physics.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    It's okay if you wear a leather skirt, like the guy in Placebo.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4
  6. Nov 21, 2011 #5

turbo

Gold Member

No. You can't be a nuclear engineer, either, especially if you have a huge beard.

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=15685

7. Nov 21, 2011 #6
    Ever seen a picture of Newton?

8. Nov 21, 2011 #7
    AHA! wasn't that a long wig?

9. Nov 21, 2011 #8
    Nope. He had very long, prematurely grey hair. He joked that his hair had turned silver from experimenting with mercury so much.

Good pic here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton

10. Nov 21, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nope. Most physics experiments involve high speed turbines which will chop your beard (and head) clean off. Even theoretical physicists can't have beards because then people confuse them for raving psychotics when they start talking about string theory.

11. Nov 21, 2011 #10

wukunlin

Gold Member

I have long hair and wtf am I reading?

12. Nov 21, 2011 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Having a job and having long hair and a beard are one thing. Once you're hired, they look more at your performance than your hair/beard.

Getting a job when you have long hair and a beard is a different thing. Since they don't really know what your job performance is like, they rely on shallower things.

But it is statistically true that the average hair length of people with careers in physics is shorter than the average hair length as a whole. In fact, that could be the reason more men have careers in physics than women - it's the hair that does it!

13. Nov 21, 2011 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aaaah, so that's the problem. The ability to read is inversely proportional to one's hair length. :rofl:

14. Nov 21, 2011 #13
    Theoretical physicists and string theorists are raving psychotics.

15. Nov 21, 2011 #14

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

According to military standards I have to follow I should be an AMAZING reader then!

16. Nov 21, 2011 #15

wukunlin

Gold Member

also explains why Buddhist monks shave all their hair off so they are... infinitely good at reading :eek:

17. Nov 22, 2011 #16
    If you are very well groomed I think you could get a way with it.

Long hair on purpose as apposed to long hair as a result of not cutting your hair.

18. Nov 22, 2011 #17
    actually, I think that mixes pretty well

19. Nov 23, 2011 #18
    I'm a physicist and I had long hair (past my nipples) until recently. I also shave like once a month because I hate shaving. No one I work with seemed to care. The only people who complained were my girlfriend's parents, who said I looked homeless.

20. Nov 23, 2011 #19
    Yeah, that is a silly question. Of course not!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook