Physics career and guy with long hair?

In summary: It's just that physics is a very male-dominated field and most physicists have shorter hair than the average person. If you are very well groomed I think you could get a way with it.
PookDo
Silly question I know but can you have a career as a physicist and be a guy with longer hair?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein had sort of "long" hair, though it was more of a fro. Hippie physics.

It's okay if you wear a leather skirt, like the guy in Placebo.

PookDo said:
Silly question I know but can you have a career as a physicist and be a guy with longer hair?
No. You can't be a nuclear engineer, either, especially if you have a huge beard.

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=15685

PookDo said:
Ever seen a picture of Newton?

zoobyshoe said:
Ever seen a picture of Newton?

AHA! wasn't that a long wig?

HeLiXe said:
AHA! wasn't that a long wig?
Nope. He had very long, prematurely grey hair. He joked that his hair had turned silver from experimenting with mercury so much.

Good pic here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton

PookDo said:

Nope. Most physics experiments involve high speed turbines which will chop your beard (and head) clean off. Even theoretical physicists can't have beards because then people confuse them for raving psychotics when they start talking about string theory.

I have long hair and wtf am I reading?

Having a job and having long hair and a beard are one thing. Once you're hired, they look more at your performance than your hair/beard.

Getting a job when you have long hair and a beard is a different thing. Since they don't really know what your job performance is like, they rely on shallower things.

But it is statistically true that the average hair length of people with careers in physics is shorter than the average hair length as a whole. In fact, that could be the reason more men have careers in physics than women - it's the hair that does it!

wukunlin said:
I have long hair and wtf am I reading?

Aaaah, so that's the problem. The ability to read is inversely proportional to one's hair length. :rofl:

Pengwuino said:
Even theoretical physicists can't have beards because then people confuse them for raving psychotics when they start talking about string theory.
Theoretical physicists and string theorists are raving psychotics.

BobG said:
Aaaah, so that's the problem. The ability to read is inversely proportional to one's hair length. :rofl:

According to military standards I have to follow I should be an AMAZING reader then!

BobG said:

also explains why Buddhist monks shave all their hair off so they are... infinitely good at reading :eek:

If you are very well groomed I think you could get a way with it.

Long hair on purpose as apposed to long hair as a result of not cutting your hair.

actually, I think that mixes pretty well

I'm a physicist and I had long hair (past my nipples) until recently. I also shave like once a month because I hate shaving. No one I work with seemed to care. The only people who complained were my girlfriend's parents, who said I looked homeless.

Yeah, that is a silly question. Of course not!

1. What kind of education is needed for a career in physics?

To become a physicist, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as engineering or mathematics. Many jobs in the field also require a master's degree or PhD.

2. Can someone with long hair be taken seriously in the physics field?

Yes, absolutely. Long hair does not affect one's ability to do well in physics or be taken seriously by colleagues. In fact, many successful physicists have long hair and it has no impact on their work or credibility.

3. What types of jobs are available for someone with a physics degree?

There are many career options for physicists, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching, consulting, and even roles in finance and technology. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained through studying physics also make graduates desirable for a wide range of other jobs.

4. Is it possible to balance a physics career and long hair?

Yes, it is entirely possible to have a successful career in physics while maintaining long hair. Many physicists with long hair are able to balance their work and personal appearance without any issues.

5. Will having long hair affect job opportunities in the physics field?

No, having long hair should not affect job opportunities in the physics field. Employers in the science industry are more concerned with an individual's skills, qualifications, and experience rather than their appearance. As long as you are qualified and capable, having long hair should not hinder your job prospects in physics.