Physics coefficient of friction question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of friction on the ground based on a 17kg box being pushed by a 150N force and accelerating at 2.3m/s2. The formula FNet=μFn is used to find the coefficient of friction, with FN being calculated as 166.6N. After some discussion and assistance, the final answer is determined to be 0.66.
Jasmin99
Physics coefficient of friction question!

A 17kg box is being pushed by a 150N force. If the box is accelerating at 2.3m/s2. What is the coefficient of friction on the ground?FNet=μFn
Fn= 9.8x17= 166.6N
How can I find the fnet?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jasmin99. Welcome to PF.

You should read the how to ask for help forum. Will you specify where you are having problem?.

Sorry! I'm not sure how to find the Fnet.

Okay. Can you draw the FBD of the object?

Here is my work:
Fnet= 150-(17)(2.3)
Fnet= 110.9N
Fnet=uFn
110.9=u166.6
U=0.66
Not sure if I did it right.

The answer looks correct

Thanks for the help everyone! I have figured it out now.

Jasmin99 said:
Here is my work:
Fnet= 150-(17)(2.3)
Fnet= 110.9N
Fnet=uFn
110.9=u166.6
U=0.66
Not sure if I did it right.

Yup, you've got it right. Make sure you post your attempt at the time of asking the question itself.

1. What is the definition of coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force required to move an object across a surface to the force pressing the two surfaces together. It is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the normal force acting on the object. It can also be calculated by measuring the slope of the line on a graph of applied force versus frictional force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the movement of objects?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of force needed to move an object across a surface. A higher coefficient of friction means that more force is needed to overcome the resistance to motion, while a lower coefficient of friction means less force is needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is important in many practical applications, including determining the traction of tires on different road surfaces, designing brake systems for vehicles, and calculating the force needed to push or pull objects. It is also used in sports equipment such as shoes and balls to optimize performance.