Physics' connection to Pharmacy

In summary, a group of pharmacy students are working on a short film project about the role of physics in their course. They are struggling to come up with a plot but have been given ideas related to pharmacological research and molecular physics. They also discovered the need to include radioactive material transportation safety in their project after finding out their gamma counter was broken.
Megaevelie
We have a short film project in Physics about the role of Physics in our course. I am a pharmacy student and me and my 3 teammates tried to write a plot summary but our storyline is not that good.

Can you provide me with any ideas we can do for our project? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it can be related to pharmacological research there is something called radioisotopic labeling. There's also molecular physics just about everywhere in pharmacology.

Megaevelie said:
We have a short film project in Physics about the role of Physics in our course. I am a pharmacy student and me and my 3 teammates tried to write a plot summary but our storyline is not that good.

Can you provide me with any ideas we can do for our project? Thanks!

My colleague and I were writing the standard operating procedures today for some radioimmunoassays that we will be doing in October. Radioactive decay, tracer half-life calculation, tracer concentration calculation, Gamma-ray CPM calculation, radiation safety, etc.. All related to physics!

And our highlight of the day was we found out the gamma counter at our department is broken! So in October we will have to go to our neighbor - school of pharmacy - to use their gamma counter! Now, a new chapter in our SOP is needed - radioactive material transportation safety! :)

Thank you so much dimensionless and zspdztzx! I will try to make a plot with your suggestions. Thanks again! :)

You can't spell physics or pharmacy without 'ph'. Medicinal compounds were once called 'physics' (plural)

1. How is physics related to pharmacy?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Pharmacy is the study of medicine and how it interacts with the human body. Physics plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of drugs, their behavior in different environments, and how they interact with the body's tissues and cells. It also helps in designing drug delivery systems and understanding drug absorption and metabolism.

2. What are some examples of how physics is used in pharmacy?

Some examples include using principles of thermodynamics to study drug stability and shelf life, using optics to analyze drug particle size and shape, and using fluid dynamics to design drug delivery systems. Physics is also used in imaging techniques such as MRI, CT scans, and ultrasound, which are important tools for diagnosing and monitoring diseases.

3. How does understanding physics help in drug development?

Understanding the fundamental principles of physics, such as kinetics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, can aid in the design and development of new drugs. It allows scientists to predict how a drug will behave in different environments and how it will interact with the body. This knowledge helps in optimizing drug formulations and improving drug efficacy and safety.

4. Can physics help in identifying potential drug targets?

Yes, physics-based methods, such as molecular modeling and simulations, can help in identifying potential drug targets by predicting the structure and behavior of biological molecules. These techniques can also be used to design and screen potential drug candidates, saving time and resources in the drug development process.

5. How is physics applied in the study of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics?

Pharmacokinetics is the study of how drugs are absorbed, distributed, metabolized, and eliminated by the body, while pharmacodynamics is the study of how drugs interact with their target molecules. Physics plays a crucial role in understanding these processes by providing models and equations to describe drug movement and interactions. This knowledge is essential for optimizing drug dosages and predicting drug responses in patients.