Can a 100kg object on a rough surface be moved with a 30° angle force of 800N?

In summary, to move an object with mass 100kg on a rough surface, a force of 800N at a 30° angle with the surface must be applied. The normal force must be calculated using the equation N=mg-F*sin(30°) and then the friction force can be found using A=μ*N. If the friction force is less than the component of the applied force in the direction of motion, the object will move.
hastings

Homework Statement

we want to move an object with mass m=100kg which is still on a rough surface with a force F=800N. between the surface and the object there's a [tex]\mu_s=1[/tex]. Prove that the object can be moved if the force is applied with a 30° angle with the surface.

Homework Equations

F=m*a (N's 2nd law)

The Attempt at a Solution

friction: A=-mu *N=-100*10=-1000N
F_rx=m*a_x ==> a_x=(-mu*N + F*cos30°)/m=-3.07 m/(s*s)

F_ry=m*a_y ==> a_y=(F*sin30)/m=4

F_r=sqrt( F_rx^2 +F_ry^2)

But I get that A>F_r (result of all forces) so the body doesn't move.

Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• prob1.bmp
    42.8 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
someone please help me!

Hello.I can't follow your answer what is N? But friction is Mu times the reaction which is mg - sin 30. F cos 30 is in fact greater than mu times mg- sin 30.Therefore object moves.Hope it is of help.

N is the normal force to the surface, what you called reaction. sorry didn't get your suggestion: why is Normal force (N)

[tex]N= mg - \sin 30[/tex] ?

I thought N was canceled by [tex]\vec P= - m \cdot \vec g[/tex]

I know that F has two components, x and y

[tex]F_x= |\vec F| \cdot \cos 30 [/tex]

[tex]F_y= |\vec F| \cdot \sin 30 [/tex]

but N has only one component: along the positive y

Last edited:
This is what I figure out of the forces applied to the object. (see the attachment)

Attachments

• prob1a.bmp
    31.1 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
You must solve for the normal force by considering the vertical components of all forces acting on the object: They must sum to zero. In your diagram it looks as if you just assume the normal force equals mg, which is not true in this case, since other forces act vertically.

I spoke to my teacher and I understood my mistake.
I was thinking that the reaction force to the surface was ALWAYS only "m∙g". Actually the normal force varies, it's not always "m∙g" or, better, it's not just that.
The gravity force balances the normal force AND the F_y=F∙sin30°

mg= N+ F∙sin30° → N= mg - F∙sin30°.

Once found N, I can calculate the friction force A=µ∙N.
I must then check whether it is A<F∙cos(30°). If so the body moves :)

Last edited:
The normal reaction force of the surfce on the object is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the object on the surface which in this case is not mg but mg - F sin 30.

so you are saying N=mg - F∙sin(30°) is not right?

No. I am saying its right ... but u said that the normal force varies i wanted to add that it is equal n opposite to the force that the object exerts on the surface. So u knew that i think?

ok, thank you very much!

1. What is a "Physics Dynamic problem"?

A Physics Dynamic problem refers to a problem or scenario that involves the study of motion and the forces that affect it. It involves the application of principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to understand and solve problems related to the movement of objects or systems.

2. What are some examples of Physics Dynamic problems?

Examples of Physics Dynamic problems include calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the forces on an object in motion, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile. Other examples include analyzing the motion of objects on an inclined plane, solving problems involving collisions, and understanding the motion of objects in circular motion.

3. How can I solve a Physics Dynamic problem?

To solve a Physics Dynamic problem, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables, and then apply relevant equations or principles from physics to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to draw diagrams and label all the forces acting on the object or system to help visualize the problem and determine the correct equations to use.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving Physics Dynamic problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Physics Dynamic problems include using the wrong equation, not considering all the forces acting on the object, and not properly converting units. It is also important to check the direction of the forces and use the correct sign convention for positive and negative directions.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Physics Dynamic problems?

To improve problem-solving skills for Physics Dynamic problems, it is important to practice solving different types of problems, understand the underlying principles and equations, and review examples and solutions. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams to visualize the problem. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.