1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Dynamics Question homework help

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the acceleration in the system of a fletcher’s trolley given m1 = 1.0 kg and m2 = 9.0 kg and a 50 N force of friction exists.
    θ = 33°

See the image below, to explain the diagram. This one has an angle of 33 degrees that is why it is hard.

http://i39.tinypic.com/3497zo9.png

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so first I found out the horizontal component of m1 by the formula cos(33)*mass(which is 1.0kg) and got the value 0.838 , then I put the formula Fnet=[(M2*A)-Ff]/(m1+m2)
    which means 9.0kg*9.81m/s2 - 50 N divided by (0.838+9) .. the answer was 3.9 M/s2 but this is the wrong answer, i asked my teacher, he said you are somewhere close but this is not right. I cannot figure this out, I have been trying different things since hours.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi huzjm! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    sorry, but even if you mean a = Fnet/(m1+m2) = [(M2*A)-Ff]/(m1+m2), that's still completely wrong :redface:

try calling the tension "T", and doing two F = ma equations (one for each block)

alternatively, if you're treating the two blocks as a single system, your m in ma has to be the total (unadjusted) mass, and you have to use the component of m1g parallel to the string

try it both ways … what do you get? :smile:

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much :) In fact, thank you really very much :)
    This is what I did
    Fnet = ma = 9kg * a = mg - T = 9kg * 9.8m/s² - T = 88.2N - T
    → T = 88.2 - 9a

For the lighter mass,
    Fnet = ma = 1kg * a = T - mgsinΘ - Ff = T - 1kg * 9.8m/s² * sin33º - 50N
    1kg * a = T - 5.34N - 50N = T - 55.34N
    → T = a + 55.34

Since T = T,
    88.2 - 9a = a + 55.34
    32.86 = 10a
    a ≈ 3.3 m/s²

Is the answer right now?

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

excellent! :smile:

(btw, you'll notice you could get the same result by treating it as a one-dimensional motion, with a single body with a mass of 10 kg, friction of 50 N and gravitational forces of 9g N and -gsin33° N :wink:)

6. Mar 27, 2012 #5
    Oh so the formula should have been acceleration= [(9.0kg*9.81m/s) - 50N - (9.81m/s * sin 33°)] / 10 KG

Thank you really very much :)

7. Mar 27, 2012 #6
    I mean m/s(square)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook