Forces help (friction, tension, etc.)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two boxes connected by a string on an incline plane. The goal is to find the acceleration of the boxes given the masses, angle of incline, and coefficients of friction. The conversation includes a discussion of constructing free body diagrams and setting up equations using the x-y coordinate system. The conversation ends with the suggestion to solve for the acceleration by treating tension and acceleration as unknowns.
Reizor1989
First off, I want to apologize if anything is made unclear. I'm ultra-stressed right now, I'm sure I can get over this physics problem. I just need a layman's explanation of this.

1. A taut massless string connects two boxes as shown below. The boxes are placed on an incline plane at θ = 33.00. What is the acceleration of boxes as they move down the incline, given m2 = 1.2 kg, m1 = 6.8 kg, μ2 = 0.10 and μ1 = 0.20
QujSMww.gif
. 2. Constructed free body diagram for M1 (mass 1) with normal force (n) along the positive y-axis, friction (f) along the negative x-axis, tension (T) along the positive x-axis, and Force of gravity (Fg) in quadrant IV, 33 degrees from the negative y-axis. (a=acceleration, mu=coefficient of friction)

a.) Summed forces of x as Fx = T - f + Fgx = M1*a ->
-> M1 * a - mu*n + M1*g = M1 * a
-> (This is where I think I'm screwing up. I want to isolate the first (a), but I have no idea how.)

b.) Summed forces of y as Fy = n - Fgy = M1 * a ->
-> n - Fgy = 0 (acceleration is 0)
-> n = Fgy

3. Constructed free body diagram for M2 (mass 2) with (n) along the positive y-axis, (f) along the negative x-axis, tension (T) along the positive x-axis, and Force of gravity (Fg) in quadrant IV, 33 degrees from the negative y-axis. (a=acceleration, mu=coefficient of friction)

a.) Same as 2a
b.) Same as 2b

4. Basically I have no idea where to go from here. Did I screw up on the diagram? Is something wrong with my algebra? What can I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reizor1989 said:
First off, I want to apologize if anything is made unclear. I'm ultra-stressed right now, I'm sure I can get over this physics problem. I just need a layman's explanation of this.

1. A taut massless string connects two boxes as shown below. The boxes are placed on an incline plane at θ = 33.00. What is the acceleration of boxes as they move down the incline, given m2 = 1.2 kg, m1 = 6.8 kg, μ2 = 0.10 and μ1 = 0.20
QujSMww.gif
.2. Constructed free body diagram for M1 (mass 1) with normal force (n) along the positive y-axis, friction (f) along the negative x-axis, tension (T) along the positive x-axis, and Force of gravity (Fg) in quadrant IV, 33 degrees from the negative y-axis. (a=acceleration, mu=coefficient of friction)

-> (This is where I think I'm screwing up. I want to isolate the first (a), but I have no idea how.)

-> n = Fgy

3. Constructed free body diagram for M2 (mass 2) with (n) along the positive y-axis, (f) along the negative x-axis, tension (T) along the positive x-axis, and Force of gravity (Fg) in quadrant IV, 33 degrees from the negative y-axis. (a=acceleration, mu=coefficient of friction)

a.) Same as 2a
b.) Same as 2b

4. Basically I have no idea where to go from here. Did I screw up on the diagram? Is something wrong with my algebra? What can I do next?

Welcome to the PF.

It sounds like you are setting up your x-y coordinates so that x is parallel to the inclined plane. It is more traditional to have x be horizontal, parallel to the ground, with y vertical. Then you write the forces on the inclined plane for the FBDs in terms of sin(θ) and cos(θ) components.

Can you re-write your FBD equations with the x-y axes in the more traditional orientation? That will make it a lot easier to check your work. :smile:

Welcome to PF!

Reizor1989 said:

Look's like you assumed T = M1a. Only the net force on M1 equals M1a. For Fgx it looks like you didn't get the x component correct.

-> n = Fgy
Good. You'll just need to get an explicit expression for Fgy.

What direction is the tension on M2?

Treating T and ##a## as unknowns you should be able to solve for ##a##.

[EDIT: I see I wasn't quick enough. berkeman posted while I was still constructing my response. I think it's good to choose the orientation of the axes as you did. Then the acceleration has only an x component.]

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of their microscopic irregularities.

2. How does friction help us?

Friction helps us in many ways, such as providing traction for walking or driving, allowing us to grip objects, and slowing down moving objects to prevent accidents. It also enables us to write, draw, and play musical instruments.

3. What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is influenced by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the weight and force applied to the objects, and the type of material the objects are made of. The presence of lubricants or air resistance can also affect friction.

4. What is tension?

Tension is a force applied to an object by pulling on opposite ends in opposite directions. This pulling force causes the object to stretch or elongate. It is commonly seen in ropes, cables, and strings.

5. How does tension differ from other forces?

Tension is different from other forces because it is a pulling force instead of a pushing force. It also acts along the length of an object, while other forces can act in any direction. Tension can also cause deformation in an object, while other forces may cause motion or a change in motion.