Physics final coming up when to use which principles?

In summary, the speaker is preparing for their physics final and wants to know when to use different approaches such as kinematics, Newton's second law, Momentum, Energy, Rotation, and Torque. Another person responds by saying that the speaker should use the appropriate tool for the given situation and expresses concern that this question is being asked so close to the final exam. The speaker reassures them that they are doing well in the class and just wants to know where to start studying.
Ialrai
Hello everyone!
I have my physics for engineering 1 final coming up at the Univ. of Minnesota and before I indulge into the problems, I wanted to run through when to use certain approaches such as kinematics, Newton's second law, Momentum, Energy, Rotation, and Torque. What I mean is when your given a question, what hints should you look for when you read through the problems.
Thank you for your future responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't want to send you into a panic, but that question strikes me as one you shouldn't have to ask shortly before your finals. I mean, the only answer one can give to your very broad question is "you use the tool when the situation calls for it".

Thank you for your response I am doing fine in the class just wanted to find somewhere to start to study

1. What are the basic principles of physics that I should focus on for my final?

The basic principles of physics that you should focus on for your final include Newton's Laws of Motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the laws of thermodynamics.

2. How do I know which principles to apply in a given problem?

You should carefully read the problem and identify the key variables and relationships involved. Then, apply the appropriate principles and equations to solve the problem.

3. When should I use calculus in my physics final?

Calculus is often used in physics to solve problems involving rates of change, such as acceleration, velocity, and force. If your final includes problems related to these concepts, you may need to use calculus to solve them.

4. Can I use a formula sheet or do I need to memorize all the equations?

It is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and principles in physics, but it is also helpful to have a formula sheet to refer to during the final. However, make sure to check with your instructor beforehand to see if a formula sheet is allowed.

5. How can I prepare effectively for my physics final?

To prepare effectively for your physics final, make sure to review your notes and practice solving problems from previous exams or homework assignments. You can also work with a study group or seek help from your instructor if you have any specific questions or concerns.