1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics for fun

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    Hey folks. I've been interested in physics for awhile and would like to expand my knowledge. I'm not looking to enroll in college courses, but I would like some good readings to gain more knowledge specifically in the areas of particle physics, dark matter and energy, and string theory. I've taken the intro calculus-based physics courses and modern physics in the past and have a BS in mathematics, so the mathematics isn't my concern. What books and texts would you all recommend for this? Thanks!

- Vince

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Feynman lectures come to mind.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    That looks like a good start. I'll definitely look into that set. Any other suggestions?

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    Pretty much anything by Feynman. QED is a good conceptual intro to field theory. Griffiths's particle physics textbook should be approachable with your background. Not Even Wrong provides a concise survey and history of the Standard Model and String Theory.

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at getting copies of these shortly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook