Physics for Fun: Particle Physics, Dark Matter, Energy, & String Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of gaining more knowledge in the areas of particle physics, dark matter and energy, and string theory without enrolling in college courses. Suggestions are given, including the Feynman lectures, QED by Feynman, Griffiths's particle physics textbook, and Not Even Wrong for a concise survey and history of the Standard Model and String Theory.
MathMarvel
Hey folks. I've been interested in physics for awhile and would like to expand my knowledge. I'm not looking to enroll in college courses, but I would like some good readings to gain more knowledge specifically in the areas of particle physics, dark matter and energy, and string theory. I've taken the intro calculus-based physics courses and modern physics in the past and have a BS in mathematics, so the mathematics isn't my concern. What books and texts would you all recommend for this? Thanks!

- Vince

Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman lectures come to mind.

That looks like a good start. I'll definitely look into that set. Any other suggestions?

Pretty much anything by Feynman. QED is a good conceptual intro to field theory. Griffiths's particle physics textbook should be approachable with your background. Not Even Wrong provides a concise survey and history of the Standard Model and String Theory.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at getting copies of these shortly.

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them. These building blocks are known as particles and include subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is thought to be responsible for the observed gravitational effects that cannot be explained by visible matter.

3. How is energy related to particle physics?

Energy is a fundamental concept in particle physics as it is necessary to create and modify particles. In particle accelerators, particles are accelerated to high energies and then collide, releasing large amounts of energy which can create new particles.

4. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the known forces of nature, including gravity, into a single theory. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings.

5. How does particle physics impact our daily lives?

Particle physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and PET scans. It also plays a crucial role in developing new materials and technologies, such as computer chips and batteries. Additionally, particle accelerators are used in a wide range of scientific research, from studying the structure of materials to investigating the origins of the universe.