Physics Forums Crackpot Index - Comments

Main Question or Discussion Point

This is primarily for fun, but given our experiences here at PF, it could be an excellent crackpot detector tool! Next time you read a post that sounds a bit off, refer to this index. It was compiled by PF staff and science advisors. The higher the point value, the greater the chance it's crackpot!

Read the index here

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

OmCheeto
Gold Member
50 points: "I just discovered the laws of physics are wrong"
I just got 50 points in my kitchen this morning. But then again, it might be my FBD.

ps. Can you give that new kid, Emigman, half an infraction point for me. My kitchen is a mess! :grumpy:

pf.bucky.cubes.and.meniscus.problem.experiment.2013.09.08.1220pm.jpg

I've read a lot about those so called "crackpots". However, I never found one here. I know there used to be a "Own research" or whatever it was called forum here, on PF, and that it was a festival for the "quacks" (?). Is there, perhaps, some lost topic, so I can read it? Link me!

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
I've read a lot about those so called "crackpots". However, I never found one here. I know there used to be a "Own research" or whatever it was called forum here, on PF, and that it was a festival for the "quacks" (?). Is there, perhaps, some lost topic, so I can read it? Link me!
You generally need to be lucky to catch one before it gets deleted. Personally I've found hours around 8AM-1PM GMT the most abundant, as it would appear the mentors and admins are in their temporary unconsciousness/regeneration phase of life cycle around that time.

It would be fun to be able to access the deleted topics, if only to amuse yourself by playing micromass' bingo.

You generally need to be lucky to catch one before it gets deleted.
True, we have an expert team of crackpot hunters. They generally look like this

attachment.php?attachmentid=140215&d=1377626442.jpg

You generally need to be lucky to catch one before it gets deleted. Personally I've found hours around 8AM-1PM GMT the most abundant, as it would appear the mentors and admins are in their temporary unconsciousness/regeneration phase of life cycle around that time.

It would be fun to be able to access the deleted topics, if only to amuse yourself by playing micromass' bingo.
In which sub-forums does one catch that? General Discussion?

In which sub-forums does one catch that? General Discussion?
Usually the "Physics" or "Astro/Cosmo" forums

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
That's true for some of them but for the rest of us those times are closer to our mornings at work :wink: in other words there is a time when the west-Atlanticans are asleep and the east-Atlanticans are at work so mentoring gets a bit patchy.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
5 points: Putting mentors / science advisors on ignore.
wow....

Is that like an auto-eject button on a James Bond car?

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
I think claiming Newton was wrong should be 100 pts at the least xP

I think it would be funny if you locked their account into a specific sub-forum (so that they can use PF, but only on that sub-forum).. A locked sub-forum, only those who get "labeled" as crackpots by mentors are allowed to post there. However, everyone else is allowed to read!

It would be amazing seeing them argument with one another, haha.

I think claiming Newton was wrong should be 100 pts at the least xP
Then Einstein would get 100 crackpot points instead of 30.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
They sometimes seem to come in bunches, right around the time of the full moon. For some reason, this weekend has produced at lot of zombies posting, but I guess the moon must be full somewhere.

256bits
Gold Member
Gee. I wonder if someone could use the whole list in a post. The ultimate crackpot.

Akaisora
Gold Member
This looks like a fine sticky topic in the psychology sub-forum.

256bits
Gold Member
yeah. It would be worthwhile to investigate whether the person suffering from crackpotitis is displaying symptoms of the acute or chronic progression of the disease. Is it of a hereditary nature. Or even contagious in which case how does one go about protecting oneself from becoming contaminated with the pathogen. Is there an incubation periiod during which time an individaul can become a carrier, to the time to a full blown progression. Is there a cure in sight. IMHO there is little understanding of its nature as there are a good many questions with very few answers.
At the very least we have a list of the symptoms to look for when suspecting someone is a sufferer.

When in doubt, though it would be best to contact your friendly neigborhood physicist for a proper and qualified diagnosis, and recommended treatment.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
"I need some help to express this in maths."

"Maths isn't the right tool for thinking about this."

I have seen an example of the latter where he preferred a system of drawing arrows and adding them together. Apparently the arrows were completely unlike vectors (notably, they lacked an underlying system of rigorous thought - or indeed any thought at all).

5 points: Obvious copy and paste
5 points: Wall of Text
20 points: No math shown

Desperate measures
5 points: Post offers a complicated analogy rather than a descriptive model
So 35 points for the OP so far.. ^^

So 35 points for the OP so far.. ^^
haha yes, 35 points is not too bad though :D

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Can we have a Crackpot Award to go with awards like Community Spirit and Most Humorous?

Can we have a Crackpot Award to go with awards like Community Spirit and Most Humorous?
First few years we did have one, but since they don't stick around long, it doesn't make sense. :D

50 points: Creating a sockpuppet to agree with you.
Man, that's sure a sad and desperate measure. But it's an entertaining thought. Sadly I know such things can happen. I've tried using sock puppets elsewhere, but they never agreed with me :confused:.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
sock puppets aren't very convincing without googly eyes; but then you just ruin a good pair of socks.

Couldn't help laughing when I read this, Bandersnatch. This sounded like something from David Attenborough's documentaries.

I just got 50 points in my kitchen this morning. But then again, it might be my FBD.

ps. Can you give that new kid, Emigman, half an infraction point for me. My kitchen is a mess! :grumpy:
Who's that? :biggrin:

Last edited: