John Baez's Crackpot Index: Unpacking String Theory?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of point number 37 hinting at string theory, and the suggestion to move the conversation to the Beyond the Standard Model forum. The original poster also mentions their lack of expertise in the topic and suggests asking Dr. Baez for further clarification. They also express concern about potential backlash and the suggestion to drop the topic if it does not have any valuable discussion points.
Leopold Infeld
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

Doesnt point number 37 hint at string theory by what the likes of smolin and woit says?

And btw, I am no expert in this and I announce that all i have read is a few "layman" books and have no heck of idea what string theory actually is and my voice is utterly insignificant..

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you ask Dr. Baez himself? He posts here in the Beyond the Standard Model forum.

Perhaps this thread could be moved there?

I posted here in case people took it seriously and started flaming all over again and I don't want to be the initiator of it lol. Ok, since Gokul agrees, this should be moved then.. how do i move it btw?

I'm not moving it, but one of the men in green has to do so. 'Tis beyond your ken.

nah, i am going to go there and post myself already..

Leopold Infeld said:
nah, i am going to go there and post myself already..
I wouldn't advise it. The index is meant as a joke. Unless you have anything of any actual value to discuss, drop it.

What is John Baez's Crackpot Index?

John Baez's Crackpot Index is a tool used to evaluate the credibility and validity of scientific theories or claims. It was created by mathematician John Baez to help identify characteristics commonly found in pseudoscientific ideas.

What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and forces in the universe by proposing that they are made up of tiny, vibrating strings. It is an attempt to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

How does the Crackpot Index apply to String Theory?

The Crackpot Index can be used to assess the validity of String Theory by evaluating it against a set of criteria, such as whether it involves the use of mathematical jargon without a clear understanding of the concepts, or if it makes unfounded claims about the theory's implications.

What are some common criticisms of String Theory?

Some common criticisms of String Theory include its lack of empirical evidence, the inability to test its predictions, and the complexity and abstractness of the theory. Additionally, some argue that it is unfalsifiable, meaning it cannot be proven wrong.

Is String Theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

String Theory is a highly debated and controversial topic within the scientific community. While some scientists support it, others are skeptical and criticize its lack of empirical evidence and testability. It is not currently a widely accepted or proven theory.