Physics Graduate Study - Which Area?

In summary, the speaker is planning on pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics and is seeking guidance on which area of study to focus on. They are interested in topics such as cosmology, GR, QFT, and quantum gravity, but are unsure which are promising and which are too competitive. They also mention not being interested in computational methods. They ask for suggestions on how to discover a promising area and which area is worth pursuing.
Jakub Supel
Hi everyone,

For many years I have been planning to become a theoretical physicist. If everything goes well, next year I will be graduating with a MMath, having studied QFT, GR, cosmology, particle physics, black holes, differential geometry, etc. This fall I am going to apply for a PhD in theoretical physics. My primary concern and a cause of significant uncertainty is the area of future study and research (I think it is reasonable to assume that the choice of area will define the institutions where I am going to apply) and therefore I would like to ask the wise community of this forum for suggestions and guidance related to finding or creating the main area of interest. :)

Do you think, for example, that reading reviews of the major topics in physics journals will be optimal? Moreover, which of the following fields do you think are worthy of pursuing? Which of these are promising and which of them - dead or too competitive?

Some of the topics in which I have interest:
Cosmology, Structure, with some aspects of Astrophysics
Cosmology, Inflation, the Early Universe
GR, Black Holes
Mathematical GR, twistors, non-commutative geometry etc.
QFT, physics beyond SM (symmetry breaking, axions?)
Quantum Gravity
Nature of DM and DE

Topics in which I have slightly less interest:
Experimental Particle Physics
String Theory
Foundations of QM
Supersymmetry
...something else?

I don't mind if some of my work involves numerical methods, but as this is not something I love doing, things like computational GR are not for me, I think.

So, to summarize, my questions are:

1. What should I do to discover a promising area?

2. Which area is worth pursuing at present - so that I could contribute something to it in the course of my PhD? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Jakub Supel

1. What are the different areas of study available in a Physics graduate program?

There are various areas of study that are typically offered in Physics graduate programs, including condensed matter physics, particle physics, astrophysics, biophysics, and quantum physics.

2. How do I choose which area to specialize in?

When deciding on an area of study for your Physics graduate program, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and strengths. You can also consult with your academic advisor or faculty members to gain insight and advice on which area may be the best fit for you.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories and mathematical models to explain physical phenomena, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments and collecting data to test theories and make new discoveries.

4. Can I switch areas of study during my graduate program?

It is possible to switch areas of study during your graduate program, but it may require additional coursework and a longer time to complete your degree. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor and consider the potential impact on your academic and career goals.

5. Are there research opportunities in all areas of study in a Physics graduate program?

Most Physics graduate programs offer research opportunities in various areas of study. However, some areas may have more funding and resources available for research, so it is important to research the specific program and faculty members to determine the availability of research opportunities in your desired area.