Physics help using Work-Energy theorem

In summary, the box is pushed up the incline by an initial force, and then slides down the incline under the force of gravity. The work done by the force of friction is 0.76518 J. The box must reach the skier at the top of the incline at a speed of at least 9.81 m/s^2 in order to ensure safe transport.
ochatesme

Homework Statement

You are a member of an alpine rescue team and must get a box of supplies, with mass 2.60 kg, up an incline of constant slope angle 30.0[tex]\circ[/tex] so that it reaches a stranded skier who is a vertical distance 3.10 m above the bottom of the incline. There is some friction present; the kinetic coefficient of friction is 6.00×10[tex]^{-2}[/tex]. Since you can't walk up the incline, you give the box a push that gives it an initial velocity; then the box slides up the incline, slowing down under the forces of friction and gravity. Take acceleration due to gravity to be 9.81 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex].

Use the work-energy theorem to calculate the minimum speed (v) that you must give the box at the bottom of the incline so that it will reach the skier.

Homework Equations

Given that the problem revolves around the work-energy theorem I have set up an equation which I pulled from problems that were very similar to this one out of the textbook. I ended up with Ki + Ui + Wother = Kf + Uf, where K is kinetic energy, U is the gravitational potential energy and Wother is the force of friction in the system. The "i" in the equation stands for the initial position of the box at the bottom of the slope and the "f" in the equation is for the final position when the box has reached the top of the slope after overcoming friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made several attempts at this solution and I'll try my best to explain exactly what it was that I did, maybe you guys can help point out some of the errors I made because I am sure they are there. Given that Ui is at the bottom of the slope and there is no displacement in the vertical direction, I made that part of the system "0". I also made Kf "0" due to the fact that at the final position of the box at the top of the slope, the box no longer has kinetic energy. Thus far my equation looked something like this "Ki + 0 + Wother = 0 + Uf". After this, I calculated Uf to be 39.5343 J. One of the steps that I think I'm really messing up on is calculating the amount of work done by the force of friction, what I'm doing on this step is taking the coefficient of friction and multiplying it by the normal force, which ends up looking like (6.00 x 10^-2)(2.60kg)(9.81m/s^2)(sin30) which calculates out to 0.76518 J. When I plug all this back into the original equation to try to solve for V I end up with the wrong answer each and every single time. I'm 100% sure that the mistake I'm making comes when I'm making an attempt to calculate the work required when going through the force of friction. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone...anyone? If someone could lead me in the right direction in figuring out how to calculate the work done by the force of friction (W other) I would really appreciate it!

First analyze the forces acting on the box of supplies as it moves up the incline.
Show me your free body diagram.

1. What is the Work-Energy theorem in physics?

The Work-Energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. In simpler terms, it explains the relationship between work and energy in a system.

2. How is the Work-Energy theorem derived?

The Work-Energy theorem is derived from the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms. By considering all the forces acting on an object and their corresponding work, the change in kinetic energy of the object can be calculated.

3. Can the Work-Energy theorem be applied to all types of forces?

Yes, the Work-Energy theorem can be applied to all types of forces, as long as the force is doing work on the object. This includes both conservative and non-conservative forces.

4. How is the Work-Energy theorem used in real-world applications?

The Work-Energy theorem is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a rollercoaster at different points along its track or determining the efficiency of a machine. It is also used in designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand the forces and stresses they will encounter.

5. What are the limitations of the Work-Energy theorem?

The Work-Energy theorem assumes that there are no external forces, such as friction, acting on the object. It also does not take into account the change in potential energy, which may be significant in certain situations. Additionally, the Work-Energy theorem is only applicable to objects with constant mass and does not consider objects that may be changing in shape or size.