• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics In Space Assignment - Year 12

• Thread starter LukeyD
  • Start date
Can someone please break this task down as I'm so confused :'(
It's due tomorrow and I would of done it sooner but I had in real life issues :\

Research into the shapes of orbits that exist in our solar system, including the motion of planets, comets, moons and satellites.

I found some information about orbits but I can't really find anything else.

What do they have in common how are they different.

I've got this one covered.

What rules govern how these masses revolve around each other? Give examples of how they apply.

Make a conclusion on What type of orbits would be most preferable for satellite communication, explaining why this orbit is preferable

I have no idea how to do these two. I know that the two laws are Newton's Universal Gravitation and Kepler's three laws but I don't know how they're similar or different?
Can someone please shed some light.

Answers and Replies

What rules govern how these masses revolve around each other? Give examples of how they apply.
Gravity would be the main governing factor. Accompany this with orbital velocity and radius and it should cover it.
Make a conclusion on What type of orbits would be most preferable for satellite communication, explaining why this orbit is preferable
Well this is easy. You need to compare low earth orbits to geosynchronous to polar. If you look each of them up you'll note a number of key differences and how only one is useful for communication satellites.