1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major needs advice on choosing a minor

1. Dec 24, 2012 #1
    I'm going for a B.S. in physics and haven't decided yet whether I'm going to use my elective credits to minor in chemistry double major in B.S. mathematics. Eventually, I'd like to do graduate work in cosmology or nuclear or theoretical physics. Which of these two options (if either) would be more helpful to me in grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2012 #2
    Probably math, but if you can/have to take non-physics courses, you'll likely find programming courses to be far more universally useful.

4. Dec 24, 2012 #3
    Hi JFrankParnell,

The physics chairman at my university highly encourages a minor in mathematics along with a physics major for students looking to do research in physics. I see you've also mentioned cosmology and nuclear physics. I'm aspiring to work in nuclear astrophysics and am double majoring in astrophysics and materials chemistry for undergrad (no nuclear engineering at my school). I asked a nuclear astrophysicist who came to my school what he would recommend students to major in if they would like to work in his field. He asked me what I'm majoring in and told me my current path is a good one.

You may also want to check Zapper Z's thread "So you want to be a physicist." I see that Lavabug mentioned programming. The astrophysics professor at my school said that an object oriented language such as C++ is good and she also recommends visual basic and FORTRAN.

Good luck with everything!

Oh and double major for materials chem is only 10 extra classes for me. Are you on a strict time limit for graduation?

5. Dec 24, 2012 #4
    Are you on a strict time limit for graduation?

Not really.

The physics chairman at my university highly encourages a minor in mathematics along with a physics major for students looking to do research in physics.

At the school I'll be attending, they don't allow physics majors to minor in mathematics. If I want to do extra work in math, I'll have to do a double major. I assumed pretty much all universities were the same.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks!

6. Dec 24, 2012 #5
    how about getting a minor in CS?

7. Dec 24, 2012 #6
    Not really my cup of tea. The subjects I'm most interested in besides physics are chemistry and mathematics. Never really been much interested in CS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook