Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major to engineering masters

  1. Dec 18, 2005 #1
    How tough is it to for a phyics major to go for their engineering masters? Also, how long it does it usually take?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2

    Dr Transport

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    You most likely will have to go back and take undeegraduate engineering courses in your prospective major. Remember that in the US the engineering curicula are regulated by ABET and they usually only let you do gradaute work after you have an engineering degree from and accredited school.
  4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    You have to be an engineering major to get your engineering masters? There is no way to go from a strictly phyics undergrad. degree to a engineering masters? Seems a little strange.
  5. Dec 18, 2005 #4
    ya I just checked into this, apparently, you can get into engineering grad school with a strict physics major.
  6. Dec 18, 2005 #5
    hmmm....can a dual major in EE and compE with a minor in physics go on to graduate school in physics to study semiconductor physics? As far as I know, there is no accreditation board for physics, so is this not a problem, as long as you do well on the physics GRE? I would have all of the basic physics (newtonain mechanics, basic E&M, quantum mechanics (physics major version), contemporary physics, solid state physics, EE eletromagnetic fields and waves, EE thermo, and EE mechanical systems. Plus I am gonig to take solid state electronics.) It seems like I could be a candidate for a physics PhD program...is this true?

    I know I would be missing some of the lab components that full blown physics majors get exposed to, and I would be missing optics/lasers/micro, but I am going to take a photonics/optoelectronics course, which could be a decent substitute. This course also has a lab requirement.
  7. Dec 18, 2005 #6

    Dr Transport

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I suspect that you can go to grad school in physics, first year or so will be tough, but you can make up the courses you have missed at the grad level.
  8. Dec 19, 2005 #7
    is there anyone here that could help me with this? anyone ever gone from a physics major to a engineering masters?
  9. Jan 28, 2006 #8
    Be careful, and check with the professional licensure agency in your state.

    In Kansas, for example, you could earn a Master's or Ph.D. in Engineering, BUT you can NOT take the F.E. exam to become a professional engineer unless you have a Bachelor of Science in Engineering.

    While you could work for a company that employs engineers, you could NOT register with the state as a professional engineer; consequently, you might find it more difficult to find a job.

    If your state is more friendly to non-Engineering majors taking the F.E. exam, then you're in a much better position to switch to Engineering.

  10. Jan 28, 2006 #9
    Why does it seem strange? Physics majors don't get taught nearly as much design as an engineer does.
  11. Feb 3, 2006 #10
    In general, you do not need an undergraduate major in an area to enter a graduate program in that area.

    If your academics are strong, and/or you can prove a serious interest and commitment to the program, you simply start out taking undergraduate level courses to 'bring you up to speed'.

    I suspect any desire or rule to NOT admit non-engineering undergrads into engineering grad programs stems from the confusing state of professional licensure in many states, and a desire to not produce master's engineers who aren't fully employable in their state.

  12. Nov 19, 2011 #11
    what about australlia , europe is it still possible???
  13. Nov 20, 2011 #12
    i read in university of sydney about professional engineer and apparently it is possible to switch from physics to engineer , in fact thats the point from having a master in professional enginner .
    but is it possible that a person with a physics degree abroad and come to sydney i dont know any thoughts???
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook