Physics needed for electronic engineering

In summary: He is also wondering if it will make him a better engineer. He is more interested in computing and programming, but still has a passion for physics and math. He questions what type of math he will need to take in undergraduate and graduate school if he chooses to do a graduate course, and how much it will help him understand physics, particularly quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and electrodynamics. In summary, the answer depends on the university, but typically an EE course will cover math courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as the physics series. The amount of quantum related topics may vary depending
B4ssHunter
If i do an electronic engineering course , will i have enough skills to learn physics on my own ?
by skills i mostly mean math , and most of all will it make me a better engineer ?
i am really interested in physics , but i think my interest in computing , programming and software is greater than my interest in physics , so if i decide to take an EE course , what kind of math will i be taking * in both undergraduate and graduate school if i do a graduate course * and how much will it help me understand physics * quantum mechanics , quantum electrodynamics and electrodynamics mostly *

Physics news on Phys.org
Undergrad I think it depends on the university. At UC you'll do calc series through vector, differentials, linear and probably some other applied math courses. You'll also do the physics series freshman/s year then depending on what area in electrical engineering you might do some more quantum related topics. Your question depends on a lot of different things.

Also this would probably go better in the academic section.

With your interests wouldn't CS, CE or ECE be a better fit? You'll do a lot of programming reguardless, even if you chose physics. Software and computing is more the realm of CE and CS I believe.

Last edited:
thanks a lot for your reply , what if i choose Physics , will i learn enough "computing and programming" skills to work in programming ?
I thought a lot about Computer science , but that would diminish my love for physics since i would need not only to build my physical knowledge but also my mathematical knowledge , and i love physics and math

B4ssHunter said:
thanks a lot for your reply , what if i choose Physics , will i learn enough "computing and programming" skills to work in programming ?

No. Not even close. The physics grads who do work in programming got that skill outside their physics curriculum, though extra classes, self-study or work experience. Does the physics curriculum you want to do require any programming at all? Most require zero programming classes. Physics programs teach physics and the only thing they specifically prepare you for is graduate school in physics. For the majority of grads who don't get a PhD in physics but still want employment, they have to create a marketable skill set some other way.

Some physics programs require you to do a programming language, but not all. It depends on your college. You will pick up some programming in physics, like I said. Is it enough to go straight out of school to work in software development? Probably not unless you pick up some stuff along the way.

As an EE you'll do some programming classes, but it isn't the main focus of the program. ECE you'll have an option to do more computer science/engineering classes, but it’s still basically an EE major. For programming, software, computers, CS is what you really want; you'll do things like algorithm classes, data structures, ect. Also, the math requirements are just as stringent, if not more so. Depending on the programming you’ll probably have to pick one series of physical sciences (like physics or chem) to complete.

So don't knock CS because of a perceived lack of math requirements— that just isn't the case. Learning a programming language also isn't the same as really knowing the theory behind what’s going on. It's much more complex then slapping together some syntax. Here is the basic BS in computer science at UC San Diego: http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/node/239

The best way to do CS, is by majoring in CS.

Last edited:
Typically EE courses will teach you the physics you need internal to the course. In my EM courses in EE we went over again a lot of basic EM physics, and in my solid-state devices course there was a several week introduction to very basic QM.

If you can succeed in undergraduate physics, you can succeed in undergraduate EE, as long as you do the work.

You will have the background to teach yourself most math / physics you want to know, most likely. Likewise, in your engineering job you will be constantly teaching yourself engineering you did NOT learn in school. You need to always keep learning and a good education should prepare you for that.

Exactly what classes you can/will take can vary a LOT by institution. Some EE departments are pretty rigid and you have few options, while other departments will give you tons of options. All departments should require calc sequence, linear algebra, differential equations, 2-3 semesters of intro physics, probability theory. Within EE you will learn Fourier analysis and perhaps basic complex analysis (we spent ~4 weeks on it as part of required coursework), and may learn extra linear algebra you didn't learn in your sophomore math course. You will also have to take at least one upper division electrodynamics course; I took a couple. Where I went, many of us took a semester of quantum mechanics, as it was the pre-req for the senior level courses in solid state devices, lasers and optoelectronics, etc. I also took a couple extra semesters of math - PDEs and complex analysis, as well as analytical mechanics from the physics department. And I had NO advanced placement - folks with advanced placement had even more options.

jason

1. What is the importance of physics in electronic engineering?

Physics plays a crucial role in electronic engineering as it helps engineers understand the fundamental principles behind the behavior of electronic components and systems. It also helps in the design and development of new technologies and devices.

2. What are some key concepts in physics that are essential for electronic engineering?

Some key concepts in physics that are essential for electronic engineering include electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and solid state physics. These concepts are used to understand and analyze the behavior of electronic systems.

3. How does physics help in the design and development of electronic devices?

Physics provides engineers with a deeper understanding of the behavior of electronic components and materials, which is essential for designing efficient and reliable devices. It also helps in predicting and controlling the effects of external factors such as temperature, radiation, and electromagnetic interference on electronic systems.

4. Can one become an electronic engineer without a strong background in physics?

While it is possible to become an electronic engineer without a strong background in physics, it may limit your understanding and ability to design complex electronic systems. A solid foundation in physics is crucial for success in this field.

5. How can one improve their understanding of physics for electronic engineering?

To improve their understanding of physics for electronic engineering, one can take courses in physics, electronics, and related subjects. It is also helpful to gain practical experience through internships or projects, and to stay updated with advancements in the field through reading scientific literature and attending conferences and workshops.