Physics of a collision between two cars at 5 mph

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
noobie_physics
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am new to forums so please excuse my post if it is in the wrong area.

I was wondering whether someone could help me out with understanding the physics involved in a minor car crash between 2 cars (both traveling at 5 mph).
*This is not homework etc, trying to understand a real life accident.

I have started to read up on some areas e.g. Mass of cars, Velocity and Kinetic Energy but need help sticking it all together - unless someone is willing to show me the calculations involved and work it out?(should be able to provide details required).

TIA for any information or pointers.

Kind Regards,
Rhys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify, consider if it is elastic or inellastic. At 5 mph, it is probably pretty elastic. So, momentum and kinetic energy will be conserved to a high degree (this is just an assumption). You could also take a different approach and consider a different question to answer: how elastic/inelastic is the collision. Then, you could make a calculation for the results of an elastic and an inelastic collision, and compare to the actual results of the collision. You also should probably consider the friction between the cars and the road, and rotational kinetic energy I think should be included as a deviation from perfectly elastic behavior.