Physics of the Flutterbye Flower Fairy toy

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jzimerman16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Jzimerman16
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I was wondering what the physics is behind the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DK25M6C/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I am specifically talking about this toy
m0scm9z__YMmUDk9-ZRN_yA.jpg


Besides the battery or whatever is used to propel it, what other natural forces/laws apply to this toy? I have tried to draw a free body diagram to come up with the answer, but I seem to not be able to find out the reason.

- Jacob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jacob.

The wings generate lift to counter gravity.
The effect of increased lift when close to a surface(like a hand) is probably the ground effect(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_(aerodynamics)). I couldn't find out exactly how the toy is built, but I'd assume the second set of wings in the centre is counter-rotating to cancel the torque on the body induced by the other set(so that the body doesn't spin).
That should be all there is to it.

However, the instructional video for the toy that I watched said that the toy "is sensitive to light levels in the room, including the colour of the floor". I've no idea what are they talking about.
 
Bandersnatch said:
However, the instructional video for the toy that I watched said that the toy "is sensitive to light levels in the room, including the colour of the floor". I've no idea what are they talking about.
It's obviously not just controlled by the ground effect, but an optical sensor looking down.
 
Bandersnatch said:
the toy "is sensitive to light levels in the room, including the colour of the floor". I've no idea what are they talking about.
Before the Barbie version came out, I saw a similar item on a "high-tech toys" segment of Daily Planet. It was part of a game wherein two people use things similar to ping-pong paddles as "landing pads" to steer the machine around, pass it back and forth, play keep-away, or whatever. The floor colour issue is probably because excessive absorption/reflection of the optical sensor frequency would mess up control.
 
So what would you guys say is the final explanation to how this thing works?
 
Jzimerman16 said:
So what would you guys say is the final explanation to how this thing works?
It's just a helicopter, like the remote control ones that are so popular out there these days, except it has no remote control.
$(KGrHqR,!hoFBs0Pd1qoBQurv7JMtg~~60_35.JPG


I honestly had no idea it had a ground sensor. I guess that's to ensure it doesn't go over the rooftops and disappear.
 
DaveC426913 said:
I guess that's to ensure it doesn't go over the rooftops and disappear.
Actually, I think that it's to make it hover over the user's hand or paddle.