1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics text that has the physics (or is it math) in it

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm taking a Fluid Mechanics course. The lecturer is very closely (letter to letter) following the book by Kundu and Cohen (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123737354/).

I think K&C has a bunch of isolated derivations with no examples or solved problems. The 'examples' they do have are just a part of the text and when I get to the exercises I'm totally flabbergasted..

I was wondering if there were any other better books meant for physicists? Engineering books apparently don't even deal with tensors but are just as thick..

TIA!
    Sai

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    Now it is my turn to take fluid mechanics and we use Kundu/Cohen. Did you find any books with solved problems?

I am thinking about buying Schaums Fluid mechanics and hydraulics. The people on amazon.com gives it good reviews, but do the two books fit?

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Well there was this '2500 solved problems' series book. The Schuam's outline is quite nice too. I just used them from the library. Only some questions are relevant to us. The rest are engineering stuff. Also James Lighthill's 'Informal Introduction to Fluid Mechanics' helped..

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook